Main page content begins here

Important documents and paperwork can be damaged or destroyed as a result of a fire, flood or other disasters. Access to these documents and records is often essential to your well being.  Locating these documents will hasten the process of recovering from a disaster.

Identity Documents

  • Birth Certificate
  • Citizenship Papers
  • Driver's Licence
  • Divorce Decree
  • Marriage Licence
  • Passport
  • Old Age Security Card
  • Social Insurance Card

Other Important Records

  • Animal Registration
  • Bank Book
  • Death Certificates
  • Income Tax Records
  • Insurance Policies
  • Land Titles
  • Medical Records
  • Stocks and Bonds
  • Title to Deeds
  • Vehicle Registration
  • Warranties
  • Wills

Replacement Resources

Service Canada

1-800-622-6232 (Mon-Fri 8am-5pm)
For employment insurance, social insurance number and old age security.

Passport Canada

1-800-567-6868 (Mon-Fri 7:30am-5pm)

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada 

1-888-242-2100 (Mon-Fri 8am-4pm)
For citizenship papers.

Canada Revenue Agency

1-800-959-8281 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
For income tax records.

Veteran Affairs Canada

1-866-522-2122 (Mon-Fri 8:30am-4:30pm)
For military papers.

For copies of driver’s license, vehicle registration, as well as birth, death and marriage certificates, please visit an authorized Alberta registry agent.

Financial materials and paperwork can be damaged or destroyed as a result of a fire, flood or other disaster. There are processes for replacing stocks, bonds, cash or personal banking valuables.

Savings Bonds

If your Canada Savings Bonds or any other government bonds have been mutilated or destroyed, contact the Bank of Canada.

For Canada Savings Bonds

Call: 1-800-575-5151 (Monday-Friday 7am-3pm)

Include name(s) and address(es) on bonds, approximate date purchased, denominations and approximate number of each.

Damaged Money

If bills or coins were kept in your home, take what is left of them, including ashes, to any chartered bank. Be prepared to supply information about the circumstances of the loss.

Damaged Money

Call: 1-800-303-1282 (Monday-Friday 7am-3pm)

For anything related to personal banking, debit/credit cards or other bonds/stocks, contact your financial institution or advisor.



After a fire, don't attempt to open your safe until its exterior is cool to the touch. Intense heat may be contained for hours and if the door is opened before the safe has a chance to cool down, the contents may burst into flames.

For More Information


In Edmonton: 311

Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content