Main page content begins here

Construction of a secondary suite requires both a development permit and a building permit. If you would like to build a secondary suite in your home, there are a few steps you must follow to ensure you acquire the right permits and follow the City's bylaws.


Until recently, secondary suites were only allowed in single detached homes. Following changes to the Zoning Bylaw made in August 2018, secondary suites are now allowed in single detached, semi-detached, duplex and row housing.

To see if your property is zoned for a secondary suite, check your property‚Äôs zoning designation. Visit to see if secondary suites are listed in your zone. Secondary suites are typically allowed in zones where single detached, semi-detached, duplex or row houses are allowed. You can also consult a Development Officer at the Edmonton Service Centre

Processing Time

Process time for applications usually takes about 6-8 weeks. Actual time frames may vary for each project due to the completeness of the application and differences in requirements for specific homes. 


View the Residential Permit and Fees Listing for updated fee amounts.

Permit Application Processes

Construction of a secondary suite requires both a Development Permit and a Building Permit.

Applying Online

Create an account, apply, pay and check application status.


Contractors and Professionals


Development Permit

Apply in Person

Step 1: Complete the Appropriate Forms 

New House Permit Form
For a new secondary suite built at the same time as a new home.

Secondary Suite Application Form
For a new secondary suite within an existing structure, including suites that are existing without permits.

Residential Construction Application Form
For renovations to an existing secondary suite that has already received its initial development and building permit.

Step 2: Supply Documentation

Supply required documentation as indicated on the application form.

Step 3: Submit Application and Pay Fees

Submit the application with the required fees in person or by mail to the Edmonton Service Centre.

Building Permit

Apply in Person

All secondary suites must conform to Alberta Building Code or Alberta Fire Code, depending on when the unit was constructed. This involves obtaining the following mechanical and electrical permits:

Submit the application with the required fees in person or by mail to the Edmonton Service Centre.

Fire Code Compliance

If your suite was built on or before December 31, 2006, your suite may be subject to the Alberta Fire Code. Please visit the Fire Prevention secondary suites page or call 780-496-3628 for further information.


After the appropriate permit(s) have been issued, applicants are required to contact the City of Edmonton Call Centre at 311 and arrange for inspections. All inspections must be passed before any person can occupy the secondary suite. 

To prepare for the required inspections in occupied homes, please ensure:

  • An individual 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the property is present during the inspection
  • Clear and unobstructed access to all areas of inspection is provided
  • All pets are securely contained

Note: The Safety Code Officers are required to wear shoes while performing their duties in your home. 

For More Information

Development and Building Permits
2nd floor, Edmonton Tower
10111 - 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content