This facility, located at the Edmonton Waste Management Centre, will expand the City’s organics waste processing capacity and contribute to the goal of diverting 90% of waste from landfill.
The ADF will enable the City to:
- Process up to 48,000 tonnes of organic waste per year and divert it from landfill
- Create renewable energy in the form of electricity and heat
- Produce high quality compost for use in agriculture and horticulture
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Remove odours created during the process by using bio-filters
The construction of the new ADF is now complete. The facility is currently in the commissioning phase, processing organic feed stock from municipal solid waste and generating biogas. It will be fully operational later in 2019.