The Stadium LRT Station has served Edmonton for over 40 years as a destination for many sport and music fans going to Edmonton Commonwealth Stadium, as well as residents and visitors to the neighbouring communities.
A redevelopment project was initiated to address the aging infrastructure at this Capital Line LRT stop.
The City is gathering public input to confirm design features for the future station.
Provide your input on design features for redevelopment of the Stadium LRT Station by completing the online survey, which will be open November 21 to December 5, 2018.
We are looking for feedback on safety, accessibility, and comfort and convenience improvements planned for the station. Input gathered will inform the final design of this redevelopment project.
Stadium LRT Station Redevelopment Survey
Future - Detailed Design and Construction is dependent on funding approval
2018 - Preliminary Design
2017 - Concept - Public Engagement
2010-2017 - Various studies and an updated Stadium Station Area Redevelopment Plan identified need for upgrades to the station
Studies completed in recent years identified the need for upgrades to the Stadium LRT Station. An updated Stadium Station Area Redevelopment Plan completed in 2017 confirmed the need to align these upgrades with planned Transit Oriented Development in the area.
Feedback gathered during public engagement was summarized into three key themes:
- Safety and Security
- Barrier-free Accessibility
What We Heard report
Through planning and preliminary design of the redevelopment work, the following priorities were outlined:
- Design elements that increase passenger safety, comfort and connectivity
- Improvements to accessibility and flow and to ensure the LRT station and transit centre are connected, allowing people to move safely and efficiently
- Improvements for more efficient and sustainable long-term maintenance and operations
- Replace and repair outdated and damaged areas in the existing station
- Incorporate land-use integration with the Stadium Station Area Redevelopment Plan (ARP) which was approved by City Council in February 2018.
Proposed upgrades included in the preliminary design include:
- New platform added on the west side of the tracks (the existing platform would remain to serve northbound passengers)
- Barrier-free access at the end of each platform
- Removal of the underground concourse
- Added access point to the new southbound platform connecting the pathway between the station and Commonwealth Stadium
- New heated shelters on each platform and at the Stadium Transit Centre (buses)
- New public washrooms
- Enhanced lighting
- New bike parking
- Added pedestrian track crossings at both ends of the station
- Connections to the multi-use trails on both sides of the tracks
Preliminary design renderings