The purpose of the Citizen Working Groups is to provide the Valley Line LRT project team and the affected communities with a means to:
- Build and maintain relationships and trust
- Promote and support community engagement opportunities
- Facilitate information-sharing and dialogue
- Support the identification of issues, opportunities and concerns
- Seek opportunities to minimize and mitigate impacts related to detailed design and construction
These groups are designed to be neighbourhood-focused and organized to reflect the common characteristics and interests of five distinct zones along the corridor from Downtown to Mill Woods. They will supplement, rather than replace, ongoing stakeholder relations activities involving geographically broader-based organizations and interests.
Members are volunteers reflecting a cross-section of the community. The intention is to have the groups function until the Valley Line begins service, with group membership and composition reviewed annually.
The groups themselves will be involved in completing their detailed operational guidelines, with members expected to:
- Understand/share local knowledge & interests
- Operate in an atmosphere of mutual respect & trust
- Support overall best interests of the community
- Treat participation as a commitment