First km / Last km Study
Edmonton is just one of many cities that is looking for solutions to the first km/last km portion of a user’s transit trip. We will provide a first km/last km report to City Council in fall 2018, which looks at how other communities manage it, identifies feasible options for Edmonton and provides ballpark costs. Pending direction from City Council, we could conduct some pilot studies in 2019.
City Council asked us to look at the following options, and more.
- An updated community bus strategy (for local routes)
- On demand style of service
- Review car sharing
- Vehicles for hire
- Partnerships with vehicle manufacturers to develop a fleet of connected automated vehicles and buses
- Partnerships with Edmonton Seniors Coordinating Council, as well as seniors not-for-profit and for-profit transportation companies
- Transfer some reduced conventional local bus service hours to enhance DATS paratransit service