About the Project
In 2015-16, the City widened Whitemud Drive to six lanes from 75 Street/66 Street to 17 Street and build an auxiliary lane between the 66 Street and 50 Street ramps. The added lanes were constructed over the existing grassed median and a concrete median barrier was added.
Increased traffic volumes had created congestion on Whitemud Drive between 75 Street/66 Street and 17 Street. Widening of the current four-lane roadway meets the greater traffic demands and maintains roadway safety.
In addition to roadway widening, the project included:
- Upgrading the drainage catchment system to service a wider roadway
- Replacing and updating boulevard streetlights
- Rehabilitating the existing road surface
- Assessing and mitigating any possible environmental impacts around the Mill Creek Ravine
- Creating enhanced access for heavy load carriers with a crossover
- Updating roadside and overhead signage
Information Session - April 22, 2015
On Wednesday, April 22, the City held an information session to share the project plans, traffic impacts and construction timelines with the public.