The Walterdale-High Level-Kinsmen river valley stairs are currently under construction with completion anticipated this fall. Please watch and be aware of construction and safety signage and use detours. Thank you for your patience.
About this Project
The river valley stairs that connect the river valley park trail system to the 109 Street access point by the High Level Diner require replacement, as these granular stairs currently do not meet City standards. The current stairs are also difficult to maintain and do not have handrails, creating a safety hazard for its users.
- Replace granular stairs with wooden stairs to meet the current City standards
- Install benches if required (to be decided during concept planning)
- Improve safety for users
- Follow recommended maximum number of steps between landings, with no more than 2 flights of stairs before a change of direction
- Tie into the existing multi-use asphalt trail at top and bottom of stairs
- Improve maintenance capabilities
- Maintain the retention wall along the east side of the current stairs
- Include consideration for erosion control from the west slope within proximity of the stairs and beneath the stairs in the design
2019/2020: Construction estimated to begin in summer and be completed by spring
2019: Detailed design finalized, public information activities and completion of environmental impact assessment