River Valley Alliance capital projects locations map.
In July 2013, City Council approved the construction of a 262 metre footbridge to link Terwillegar Park to River Valley Oleskiw.
The initiative realizes the direction outlined in the Terwillegar Park Concept Plan to link the park to the north side of the river.
The construction of the Terwillegar Park Footbridge was completed in fall 2016 and the bridge opened to the public on October 21, 2016.
In fall 2013, the City began conversations about the Terwillegar Park Footbridge and West End Trails with park users, user groups, area community league representatives, and members of the public.
A Community Advisory Committee has been established that includes representatives from area community leagues and park user groups.
A series of open houses were also held to allow citizens an opportunity to provide their feedback. Summary reports from the Sept 21, 2013, and May 31, 2014, open houses are below:
May 31, 2014 Open House
Presentation panels from the May 31, 2014, Terwillegar Park Footbridge/West End Trails open house:
September 21, 2013 Open House
Presentation panels from the September 21, 2013, Terwillegar Park Footbridge/West End Trails open house:
The City of Edmonton has conducted environmental reviews on the Terwillegar Park Footbridge to reduce the environmental impact of this project.
Environmental Impact Mitigation Strategies
- Footbridge design was chosen partly due to its minimal impact on environment including:
- A small construction footprint requires less time to fully reclaim disturbed areas
- A short in-water construction schedule which will minimize its impact on fisheries in the North Saskatchewan River
- Its design uses less construction material than other options
- Specialists including wildlife biologists, vegetation ecologists, rare plant specialists, erosion and sediment control specialists, and fisheries biologists evaluated the designs of the footbridge and trail options identifying opportunities to mitigate or eliminate environmental impacts during the design process