The Jackson Heights river valley stairs will be under construction starting mid-September 2019 with completion anticipated this fall. Please watch and be aware of construction and safety signage. Thank you for your patience.
The community of Jackson Heights has several access paths into the Mill Creek Ravine. Near the intersection of 42 Avenue and 46 Street, a granular path leads to a wooden staircase into the ravine. Due to the steep grade, water runs down the granular path when it rains, carrying gravel onto the staircase and creating a slip hazard.
- Replace stairs and extend the stairs to the top of bank to meet the current City standards
- Install benches, if required (to be decided during concept planning)
- Improve safety for users
- Follow recommended maximum number of steps between landings, with no more than 2 flights of stairs before a change of direction
- Tie into the existing granular trail at bottom of stairs
- Tie into either the existing granular trail or concrete walkway at the top of the bank
- Include consideration for erosion control within proximity of the stairs and beneath stairs
A public engagement session was held at the Burnewood Community League Hall on Wednesday April 3, 2019.
- Construction estimated to begin in summer and be completed in the fall
- Detailed design finalized, public information sessions and completion of environmental information assessment