The City has developed a Streetscape Design Manual for Downtown and the Quarters Downtown. This document establishes a framework for how Downtown sidewalks should be designed and constructed and identifies street furnishings that complement their character.
This manual builds upon approved plans and policies including The Capital City Downtown Plan, The Quarters Downtown Urban Design Plan, Complete Streets Design and Construction Standards, Main Streets Guideline, Winter City Design Guidelines, the Access Design Guide, and more.
The manual includes:
- A typology of streets in the downtown area based on its function in the roadway network and the planned adjacent land uses
- Recommendations for how space is allocated within the sidewalk area for each type of street
- A defined set of streetscape elements (eg. benches, tree grates, etc.) for each character area within Downtown and the Quarters
- Guidelines for where and how furnishings, trees and other streetscape elements are to be constructed
- This manual will support the creation of walkable, attractive, safe, and universally accessible streets, while balancing aesthetic outcomes with ease of maintenance and durability