Read details of the McCauley revitalization strategy based on resident input.
"A Cultural Experience"
The McCauley Revitalization Strategy was approved by Edmonton City Council in December 2010. This advances the revitalization with the City investing $10.5 million in McCauley over the next three years to support this community-led revitalization.
McCauley Community Vision
"We are proud of McCauley as a vibrant, safe, colourful and diverse neighbourhood. As we plan for its growth, we are guided by principles of sustainability, inclusivity, preservation and beauty. At the same time - with gusto - we embrace ideas of community connectedness and vitality for all those who walk our sidewalks, reside in our homes, work and shop in our businesses and are cared for in our neighbourhood."
McCauley's Revitalization Goals
- Creating a safe community
- Celebrating the community
- Building the community
- Providing sustainable housing and service options
Know Your Neighbourhood
Know what's happening in your neighbourhood, from City Councillors to the city's programs and services.
Highlights for the area
- Overall safety plan to improve the area and make it safer for all residents, businesses, and citizens who visit.
- Enhancements to Chinatown with banners, lighting, and sidewalk decorations.
- Improvements to 107A Ave including a name change to Marco Polo Way.
- Pocket areas in McCauley will be designed into housing and community parks.
- Improvements in Little Italy to increase the size and development heading south on 95 Street.
- Developing plans for the multicultural tea house along 107A Ave.
- Creating a community hub where coffee houses and other events can be housed and staged.
Creating A Cultural Experience
Edmontonians continue to come to McCauley for the cultural experience. The community connects Chinatown and Little Italy and is becoming the place to visit and take part in its year-round celebrations.
The McCauley Revitalization strategy has sparked investor interest in the revitalization of Chinatown and Little Italy as destinations of choice. Current discussions are focused on creating walkable, attractive themed villages that celebrate the history and cultural heritage of both areas.