Main page content begins here

Sheds or gazebos are defined as accessory buildings under the Zoning Bylaw. This bylaw controls the size and location of all accessory buildings.

About the Service

With the exception of the primary residence, any stand-alone building that has an area over 10 square metres (107.64 sq feet) OR is over 4.3 metres (14.1 feet) in height is considered to be an accessory structure that requires both a development and building permit.

Some examples of accessory structures under the Zoning Bylaw would include: stand-alone sheds, gazebos, greenhouses (for personal use only) and pergolas.

A detached garage or carport is also considered an accessory structure, however, special requirements exist for those types of buildings. See detached garages for more information.

If the accessory structure requires mechanical work, please see gas, HVAC, plumbing, electrical or sewer and water permits for more information.

Permit Exemption
While most accessory structures require both a development and building permit, some may not need either. An accessory structure is exempt if it meets the following conditions:

  • It is less than 10 square metres (107.64 square feet) in area
  • It is shorter than 4.3 metres (14.1 feet) in height
  • It complies with all the zoning regulations applicable to the property
  • It is free-standing, not touching the house, detached garage or any other structure
  • It does not have any electrical, gas, or plumbing elements.
  • It is not constructed in the side yards beside the house or garage

If your structure does not meet these requirements, a development permit and a building permit may be required.

Zoning Regulations
The standards in the zoning regulations for a shed or gazebo outlines how tall an accessory structure can be, where it can be built and the amount of area it can cover.

Location regulations
All accessory buildings need to be located at least 0.9 m (3 ft) from a side lot line, 0.6 m (2 ft) from a rear lot line and 0.9 m (3 ft) from the house.

The eave overhang can project up to 0.45 m into a side yard of 1.2m or less.

In most zones, accessory buildings (including sheds, garages, and gazebos) can cover up to 12% of your lot area.

Other Zoning Regulations
Residential properties can be zoned differently and may be affected by an overlay schedule. To verify the zoning of a property, visit our office or do an address search on the Edmonton Maps website.

Building Design
The Alberta Building Code regulates the construction and safety of the structure. For any related inquiries, contact our office and speak with a Safety Codes Officer.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

Accessory buildings like sheds or gazebos require both a development and building permit, the permits have been combined into one application form.

Application Procedure

Create an account, apply, pay and check application status.


Contractors and Professionals


Fill in the Residential Construction Application form.

Include all required information as indicated, as well as all application fees. 

  • One set of drawings including:
    • Elevations
      • Dimension height of building from grade to roof peak
      • Dimension height from floor to top of wall
      • Label roof slope
      • Label doors and windows
      • Projections and decorative elements
    • Construction Details
      • Exterior materials (brick, stucco, vinyl sliding)
      • Roof framing, roof materials (asphalt, cedar shakes, concrete tile)
      • Wall framing, wall sheathing
      • Floor Plans (required if stairs, attic, or second storey are proposed)
    • A Site Plan showing:
      • North arrow
      • Municipal address and legal description
      • Dimensions of the site (property lines)
    • Setbacks(to Accessory Building)
      • Front setback (distance between Accessory Building and house)
      • Side Setbacks (Both sides)
      • Rear yard Setback (shortest distance perpendicular to property line)
    • Location and dimensions of proposed and existing buildings/structures
    • Outline and dimensions of the dwelling, cantilevers, decks and other projections
    • Location of existing and proposed accesses to the site
    • Adjacent City streets, lanes, and lots
    • Right-of-way setbacks, easements and utility rights-of-way, if any

Other information may be needed

 If the residential development permit is for a new building that will be larger than 47 square metres (506 sq. ft.), or an addition to or an alteration of an existing building that will result in the building being larger than 47 square metres (506 sq. ft.) you need to complete and submit the following:


A Development Planner reviews the application using the Zoning Bylaw regulations. An accessory building or shed that conforms to regulations may be approved immediately at the counter.

Your development plans are then examined by a Safety Codes Officer to prepare a building permit.

If your development application is refused, you can appeal the Development Planner’s decision to:

Subdivision and Development Appeal Board
Churchill Building
10019 103 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0G9
Telephone: 780-496-6079


After your application has been reviewed and the appropriate permits(s) issued, applicants are required to contact the City of Edmonton Call Centre at 311 and arrange for inspections. All inspections must be passed.

To prepare for the required inspections in occupied homes, please ensure:

  • an individual 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the property is present during the inspection
  • clear and unobstructed access to all areas of inspection is provided
  • all pets are securely contained

Please note: the Safety Codes Officers are required to wear shoes while performing their duties in your home.

In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation: 8am–4:30pm
Monday through Friday


Mailing address is listed above. Cheques must be payable to the City of Edmonton. Please allow for additional processing time when applications are mailed.

By Phone 311 for 24-hour information and access to City of Edmonton programs and services. Or, if outside Edmonton, 780-442-5311.

2019 Fees

Effective January 1, 2019

Development permit fee: $118

Building permit fee: $110

The safety code fee: $4.50

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm

Contact us online


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content