Main page content begins here

We are reducing in-person services. This includes Edmonton Service Centre located at the Edmonton Tower and other locations, which are closed. This is to protect everyone’s health and safety. Learn how you can still access services at

A heating and ventilation permit is required under the Safety Codes Permit Bylaw when installing, repairing, or altering any heating, ventilation, or air conditioning undertaking.

About the Service

A heating and ventilation permit is required under the Safety Codes Permit Bylaw when installing, repairing, or altering any heating, ventilation, or air conditioning undertaking such as but not limited to:

  • ventilation systems
  • kitchen exhaust
  • residential hydronic systems
  • heat recovery ventilators

Air Conditioner (Cooling) Permits

Any time an air conditioning (cooling) unit is wired into the electrical system, you must apply for an electrical permit.

If the installation of an air conditioning (cooling) unit requires a ducting design alteration, both an HVAC permit and an electrical permit will be required.

If the cooling unit is freestanding, no electrical permit is required.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

For Homeowners

New home heating and ventilation work must be completed by a licensed mechanical contractor.  A homeowner heating and ventilation permit is for renovations and/or additions to an existing heating and ventilation system only. 

A homeowner must own and occupy the single detached house for which this permit is intended, and perform the work themselves.

  1. Download and complete the fillable-pdf Single Family Homeowners Heating and Ventilation Permit Application form, ensuring to include a description of the location and extent of the proposed work. Attach any plans and /or specifications to the application, and email to
  2. A permit issuer will contact you by telephone to have you confirm your identity and residency with a government-issued photo ID: driver's licence or equivalent.  You must have the ability to show this to the permit issuer through a video call using Google Hangout, Google Duo, FaceTime, WhatsApp or Skype.
  3. Request required inspections by contacting 311.

A permit must be obtained prior to starting any work and booking an inspection.

For Contractors

Contractors must be licensed with the City of Edmonton.

Contractors who have an online account may apply for permits and request inspections online.


  1. Complete the Contractor's Heating and Ventilation Permit Application
  2. Fax to 780-496-6054 or email to
  3. After the work has been completed you can book an inspection by calling 311

A permit must be obtained prior to starting any work and booking an inspection.

GeoExchange Systems

A GeoExchange System, commonly known as a Geothermal System, is a network of piping in the ground with a closed loop fluid circulation that allows for heat transfer between a building HVAC system and the ground. GeoExchange systems can improve the energy efficiency of building heating and cooling systems.

GeoExchange systems do not require a development permit as long as they meet the exemptions under Section 12 of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw.

However, the applicant is obligated to conform with other legislation, bylaws, or land title instruments such as the Municipal Government Act, the Edmonton Safety Code Permit Bylaw, or any caveats, covenants, or easements that might be attached to the Site (Section 5.2 of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw).

Additional requirements exist for projects within the River Valley and Ravine System (Section 14.1 of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw).

The GeoExchange System Installation Application form provides the City of Edmonton with sufficient information about the proposed GeoExchange system to ensure building code and industry best practice compliance of any buildings it may connect to.

Inspection Information

  • After the work is completed an inspection of the equipment is required.
  • All equipment that will be concealed must be inspected and approved before it is covered.
  • If the work has not had an inspection but has been covered, the inspector has the authority to request the area to be opened for inspection.

Booking an Inspection

  • In occupied homes, the owner of the home should be phoning to book the inspection since they will be required to ensure that either themselves or another adult is there when the inspection occurs.
  • Inspections can be booked by calling 311. Please indicate the type of inspection that is required as well as permit holder's name and phone number and the address where the inspection needs to be done.

To prepare for the required inspections in occupied homes, please ensure:

  • an individual 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the property is present during the inspection
  • clear and unobstructed access to all areas of inspection is provided
  • all pets are securely contained

Please note: the Safety Codes Officers are required to wear shoes while performing their duties in your home.

Extra Inspections

Additional fees shall be assessed for every inspection requested where any of the following items are found to be deficient:

  • No address on site, building, or suite as applicable
  • Inspector unable to access the building, having been called to inspect
  • Project not ready for inspection, when inspector has been called to do an inspection
  • Inspection called for where previously identified deficiency has not been corrected.
In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

By Phone 311

2020 Fees

New Construction

Any new HVAC system for semi-detached or duplex homes

Renovations/Replacements/Alterations to Existing Systems

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


City Services

View all City Services

I Want To

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content