Main page content begins here

City development and building permits make sure that development on your property meets the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw requirements as well as the minimum standards of the Safety Codes Permit Bylaw and the Alberta Building Code.

About the Service

The development and building permit application and approval process ensures all home and residential construction meets the Alberta Building Code and the City of Edmonton's Zoning Bylaw requirements.

A Development Permit confirms your development is allowable on the site while the Building Permit confirms you are meeting minimum building and mechanical standards, to ensure what you build is safe.

Construction details are assessed and approved based on Provincial and City regulations.

Depending on the type of residential construction, you may need to apply for different types of permits.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

Some of the permits that may be required include:

1) Development Permit - Development Permits are issued using the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw. They are required for all new building construction, when there will be changes to the exterior of an existing building or construction will result in a change of use, such as building a Secondary Suite within an existing single family home.

2) Building Permit - is a permit that is issued after the detailed construction drawings and all supporting documentation are reviewed to ensure they meet minimum standards set in the Alberta Building Code.

A Building Permit is required for all new construction, most structural work including new structures, interior and exterior alterations and additions.

You can buy a complete copy of the Alberta Building Code through Alberta Municipal Affairs.

3) Combination Permits - Combo permits include structures such as uncovered decks and detached accessory buildings like garages and sheds.

This permit type requires one application submission for both the Development and Building Permits.

4) New Single Family House Combination Permit - This is a permit for new house construction that combines a number of different types of permits. Types of permits included are Development, Building, Mechanical, Plumbing and Gas and Electrical. All corresponding fees must be paid at the time of permit application.

5) Residential Mechanical Permits - These are permits that are applied for to cover Heating, Ventilation or Air Conditioning work or Plumbing or Gas work. Mechanical permits are not included in the Building Permit.

The mechanical permits are applied for separately, except for the construction of a new single family home or a new semi-detached home. Contact Sustainable Development (below) for details about combined permits for new home construction.

6) Commercial Mechanical Permits - Mechanical permits are mandatory when altering and installing plumbing, gas, heating and ventilation (including hydronic or hot water heating) and sewer and water servicing.

7) Electrical Permits - The City of Edmonton issues electrical permits. The electrical permit must be applied for separately, except for the construction of a new single family home or new semi-detached home. Contact Sustainable Development at 311 for details about combined permits for new home construction.

8) Gas Permit- Residential - A gas permit is required under the provincial Safety Codes Act when installing, altering or relocating gas equipment such as: furnaces, hot water heaters, meters, piping and lines, dryers, BBQs, garage heaters, ranges, patio heaters, fireplaces, space heaters, and fire pits.

Inspections are done throughout the project to verify each stage of work has been completed to code.

9) Gas Permit- Commercial - A Gas Permit is required when installing or relocating any gas equipment: propane, piping and gas lines, boilers (hydronic), air units, fireplaces, furnaces (including rooftop units), gas pumps, kitchen equipment and meters

No permits required

Some alterations may not require permits. When renovations do not affect health or safety, then a permit may not be required. Examples include:

  • Roof replacement (with similar materials)
  • Painting and re-tiling
  • Carpet replacement
  • Basement drywalling
  • Counter top replacement
  • Cupboard door alterations
  • Window replacement (for same size)
  • Door replacement (for same size)

Permit Application Forms

The residential development and building permit application forms are available on our forms page.

In Person

Edmonton Service Centre
2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avene NW
Edmonton, Alberta

Hours of operation: 8am-4:30pm
Monday through Friday


Sustainable Development
2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta T5J 0J4

By Phone 311 or if outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311
Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


City Services

View all City Services

I Want To...

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content