The existing service location closed on February 24 at 4:30pm. Effective February 27, this service is now provided in Edmonton Tower at the Edmonton Service Centre 10111 104 Avenue.
When building a new house several permits must be obtained before beginning construction.
Permits are a requirement for many aspects of the construction process including development location, building, gas, plumbing, heating and ventilation.
Types of New Home Construction
- Single Detached House (application available online)
- Semi-Detached House
- Row Housing
Zoning and Safety Regulations
Zoning regulations for houses show the building standards for RF1 zoned lots. Edmonton Zoning Bylaw regulations review factors such as house height, location and size. The Alberta Building Code regulates the construction and safety of the structure.
Other Zoning Requirements
Not all residential properties have the same zoning regulations. To verify the zoning of a particular property, please either visit our office and speak with a development officer or perform an address search on the Edmonton Maps website. Our office does not provide property zoning information over the telephone.
Online Application Requirements and Process
Before submitting your application, ensure you have reviewed the requirements and acquired all required supporting documents.
After you have submitted the online Single Detached House Permit application and paid the fee, you will receive confirmation via email with a link to check the status of the application at any time.
Once the application has been reviewed and approved, you will be able to download your permit documents from.
Payment can be made online during the application process for Single Detached House Permits, in person at the Edmonton Service Centre, by mail (cheque only) or over the phone by calling 780-442-5054.
Alternative Application Methods
Print and complete the appropriate application.
- Single Detached House Permit (online application preferred)
- Semi-Detached House Permit
- Row Housing Permit
Bring in your application form or mail it with payment (cheque only) to:
Edmonton Service Centre
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4
- A development officer reviews the application using the regulations of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw. If a municipal address is required, one will be assigned. In certain circumstances, other departments may review these plans.
- If the application is approved by the development officer, a development permit is issued. The application is then examined by a safety codes officer, and if it is approved, a building permit is issued. We will contact the applicant once this process is complete.
- If an application is refused, an appeal can be made to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board at 780-496-6079.
Required inspections are included in the permit cost. However, additional inspections resulting from deficient work will incur a fee. Call our office at 311 to arrange an inspection.
To prepare for the required inspections in occupied homes, please ensure:
- an individual 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the property is present during the inspection
- clear and unobstructed access to all areas of inspection is provided
- all pets are securely contained
Please note: the Safety Codes Officers are required to wear shoes while performing their duties in your home.