Main page content begins here

The existing service location closed on February 24 at 4:30pm. Effective February 27, this service is now provided in Edmonton Tower at the Edmonton Service Centre 10111 104 Avenue.

When building a new house several permits must be obtained before beginning construction.

About the Service

Permits are a requirement for many aspects of the construction process including development location, building, gas, plumbing, heating and ventilation. 

Projects are reviewed and assessed according to the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw, the Alberta Building Code, and the Safety Codes Permit Bylaw before permits are approved.


Easements and rights-of-way are some of the factors that may affect where a building can be located on the property. To obtain more information about these factors, please refer to the land title document, which is obtainable at a registry office or the Alberta Lands Titles office.

Zoning and Safety Regulations

Zoning regulations for houses show the building standards for RF1 zoned lots. Edmonton Zoning Bylaw regulations review factors such as house height, location and size. The Alberta Building Code regulates the construction and safety of the structure.

Other Zoning Requirements

Not all residential properties have the same zoning regulations. To verify the zoning of a particular property, please either visit our office and speak with a development officer or perform an address search on the Edmonton Maps website. Our office does not provide property zoning information over the telephone.

How Do I Obtain the Service?

Updated Application Forms For New Home Construction

Since 2014, all new home building permit applications are required under the New Home Buyer Protection Act (Municipal Affairs of the Alberta Government) to supply one of the following before a building permit can be issued:

  • Warranty Confirmation number
  • An exemption letter from the Alberta Government

Please ensure you use the updated application forms to provide this required information.

For more information about the warranty program see:

Application Procedure

To apply fill in the:

The permit process has been combined so that the applicant can apply for one permit that will include all of the permits, including the development permit, required for the new home construction.

If the residential development permit is for a new building that will be larger than 47 sq. metres (506 sq. ft.), or an addition to or an alteration of an existing building that will result in the building being larger than 47 sq. metres (506 sq. ft.) the Abandoned Wells Confirmation Form must be submitted with a printout of the map(s) that was used to confirm the absence/presence of abandoned well(s) with the permit application form.

Then include all the application fees and bring or send to our office.


  1. A development officer reviews the application using the regulations of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw. If a municipal address is required, one will be assigned. In certain circumstances, other departments may review these plans.
  2. If the application is approved by the development officer, a development permit is issued. The application is then examined by a safety codes officer, and if it is approved, a building permit is issued. We will contact the applicant once this process is complete.
  3. If an application is refused, an appeal can be made to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board at 780-496-6079.


Required inspections are included in the permit cost. However, additional inspections resulting from deficient work will incur a fee. Call our office at 311 to arrange an inspection.

To prepare for the required inspections in occupied homes, please ensure:

  • an individual 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the property is present during the inspection
  • clear and unobstructed access to all areas of inspection is provided
  • all pets are securely contained

Please note: the Safety Codes Officers are required to wear shoes while performing their duties in your home.

In Person

Sustainable Development
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation: 8am-4:30pm
Monday through Friday


Mailing address is listed above. Cheques must be payable to the City of Edmonton. Please allow for additional processing time when applications are mailed.

By Phone 311 for 24-hour information and access to City of Edmonton programs and services. Or, if outside of Edmonton, 780-442-5311.

2017 Fees

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


City Services

View all City Services

I Want To...

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content