Leave as Built is a confirmation by the City that applies to buildings that have had the appropriate development permits issued but the actual building has been built in a different location than what was approved.
What is the process?
A Development Officer reviews the application to determine whether they will approve the "variance" allowing the structure to remain.
- If approved, a letter of notification is sent to the adjoining property owners advising them of the application. This notification is also published in the newspaper. The notification period is for the duration of 14 days (not including weekends) from when the notification is first published in the newspaper.
- During the notification period, inquiries can be directed to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board at 780-496-6079 for confirmation on any appeals.
- If no appeals have been filed, the development permit is issued allowing the building to remain as built.
Why is a letter of notification done?The Zoning Bylaw requires that the Development Services Branch notify all property owners within a 60 metre (200 foot) radius of a development permit approval, for a discretionary use (see Class B) or where the development officer grants a variance on a regulation of the Zoning Bylaw.
Note: a notification may require some additional fees, as outlined in the Fees section below.
The purpose of providing the notice is to provide an opportunity for people who may be affected by these discretionary decisions an opportunity to register an appeal regarding the proposed construction. Any appeals on the approval are sent to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.
To apply, mail or bring the following items to our office:
- A copy of the Leave as Built application form
- A copy of the compliance letter from Sustainable Development
- Two copies of a real property report (we do not accept faxed or spliced real property reports) showing:
1. The location and size of the existing building
2. Distance from side, rear or front property lines
- All application fees.
City of Edmonton
Office Hours: 8am-4:30pm
Effective January 1, 2017
For a single detached house, semi-detached house or duplex: $164
For an accessory building (includes garage, carport, shed, gazebo, and uncovered deck): $110