Main page content begins here

We have reduced in-person services. This includes Edmonton Service Centre located at the Edmonton Tower and other locations, which are closed. This is to protect everyone’s health and safety. Learn how you can still access services at

An encroachment agreement is a written confirmation between the City and an owner of a property which allows a structure that extends onto City or public property to remain in place. There is a cost associated with this type of agreement.

About the Service

How are encroachments usually identified?

Encroachments onto City or public property are often discovered when a property is being sold. Usually either the real estate purchasing contract or the lending institution has a clause in its contract that requires the seller provide a guarantee that any structures encroaching upon easements, utility rights-of-way, or adjacent public lands have been approved by the City.

What are the options for encroachments?

Minor encroachments are usually allowed to remain as built with an encroachment agreement in effect, however, the City may place conditions on any future alterations to them.

If any encroaching structure is deemed to be causing a safety hazard or interfering with the maintenance of a utility, the City or utility company will require it to be removed, at the owner's cost.

In some cases where the land is surplus to the City's needs, there may be a choice given to purchase the land from the City.

What is the process?

  • After submitting an application, the information is first circulated through to the associated civic departments.
  • The review and circulation may take up to six (6) weeks or more depending on the complexity of the application and the workload.
  • Once completed and no objections are presented, the encroachment agreement will be prepared and sent to the applicant for signature.
  • When we have the signed agreement, it will take approximately 2 days to be officially executed.
How Do I Obtain the Service?

To apply fill in the Encroachment Agreement Request form and include:

  • The application form or a letter stating your name, address, phone number (include fax number if applicable), your property's municipal address include the legal description (plan number, block and lot as shown on your tax notice)
  • Four copies of the real property report (we do not accept faxed, emailed, spliced or altered Real Property Reports) and a copy of the easement document (if applicable)
  • A document stating the names that are to appear in this agreement with this request
  • A recent copy of the title to the property
  • All application fees

Note: Unless it is indicated differently in your letter or on the application form, the encroachment agreement will be prepared in the name of the person on the title.

In Person

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

Office Hours: 8am-4:30pm

Monday through Friday


City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4


Fees are based on whether an application requires circulation to other City departments, utility companies, or other related parties.

Generally, circulation is required if the property is a corner lot or if the encroachment protrudes onto City Lands by 0.5 metres or more; however, there are exceptions based on each application.

For encroachments under 0.05 meters, there is no application fee.
For all other applications:

  • Applications which do not require circulation: $300
  • Applications which require circulation: $500

Contact Development Services Customer Information and Support Services (below) to determine whether a specific application requires circulation and to determine the appropriate application fee.

2020  Encroachment Fees

Encroachment Fees are a combination of the base fee, plus the application fee plus the GST  

Encroachment Type

Encroachment agreement is done by a letter of consent
(if encroachment is less than 0.05 sq. m)
$100 + $0 + GST

Encroachment is required for an overhead sign/canopy
$50 + ($300 or $500) + GST

Encroachment is onto a Utility right-of way/Easement
$50 + ($300 or $500) + GST

Encroachment is onto an alley/road right-of-way (0-2 sq. m area)
$100 + ($300 or $500) + GST

Encroachment is onto an alley/road right-of-way (2 sq. m – 5 sq. m area)
$350 + ($300 or $500) + GST

Encroachment is onto an alley/road right-of-way (5 sq. m and greater)
Encroachment Fee will vary (consult Development Officer for Fee)

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content