The Salute to Excellence Program is led by a volunteer committee of representatives from the Arts and Culture, Sports and Community Service communities.
The council maintains formal and informal partnerships with many organizations and institutions related to arts and culture, community service, and sports such as the Edmonton Sports Council, Edmonton Arts Council and the Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations.
The main focus of the Salute to Excellence Council is to identify deserving citizens in each category, and to oversee suitable recognition ceremonies.
People seeking membership should have:
- Significant, direct experience with one of the three categories: Arts & Culture, Community Service or Sports
- Recent experience as a board or committee member
- The ability to analyze issues from a broad perspective
- The ability to commit:
- 6-10 hours per month on Salute to Excellence Council and Committee related activities
- The Salute to Excellence Council meets on the second Monday of each month at Circle Square, 11809 Groat Road, from 11:45am-2pm. Members also participate on one of the Standing Committees, which meet up to four times per year, during regular business hours and/or evenings.
- To develop and maintain a good working knowledge of the Salute to Excellence mandate and operating guidelines
- To actively participate in Salute to Excellence Council and Standing Committee meetings, orientation planning sessions & other Salute to Excellence activities
- To abide by the Ethical Guidelines for Citizens Who Serve on City Boards, Agencies and Committees
- To work collaboratively with other Salute to Excellence Council & Committee members and City Administration
- To have a strong commitment to the community