Urban Architecture - Award of Merit
- Architect: Dub Architects Ltd. in joint venture with Hughes Condon Marler Architects
- Landscape Architect: Carlyle and Associates
- Project Owner: The City of Edmonton and Edmonton Public Library
Location: 9010 156 Street
The new Jasper Place Branch Library creates an inviting and memorable presence within its neighbourhood. The Library is a distinctive landmark in the Meadowlark community. While the form of the building distinguishes it from the surroundings, it does so by working with the particular qualities and opportunities of the site. From the road, the design recognizes the site’s exposure to vehicular traffic and the potential West LRT along Meadowlark Road. For the pedestrian and patron, it offers the community a friendly welcome by using transparency to open its south and west faces to the passerby.
The Library becomes the new social heart within the older suburban neighbourhood with its flexible social space, and community driven program. Community space as well as washrooms function independent of the Library and can be accessed by the public after hours. Social space was given priority in the planning with the collection being used to define and enhance social needs. The stairs become a vital element within the Library as they promote a continuous circulation loop as well as social space for performance and sitting. The upper floor of the space extends to create an outdoor terrace at the south side, overlooking the entry point maximizing social potential and taking advantage of siting opportunities. The overall result is an open, engaging, flexible and monumental public space that provides a strong public presence in a neighbourhood that has lacked meaningful indoor public space.
- Beautiful jewel for the Community to meet in
- It is an open gesture – it doesn’t stop and start
- City is investing money in better architecture and stimulating excellence in the private sector
- Separate washrooms and community space move this project toward becoming a 24 hour public space