Civic Design-Award of Merit
- Landscape Architect: DIALOG in partnership with ISL Engineering and Land Services Ltd, Stantec Architecture, HOK, and RTKL
- Project Owner: Alberta Health Services, University of Alberta, and Alberta Infrastructure
Location: 87 Avenue and 114 Street to University Avenue and 114 Street
Between 2007 to 2012 and ongoing, the University of Alberta (Edmonton Health Academy), Alberta Health Services (Kaye Clinic) and Alberta Infrastructure (Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium) undertook the design and implementation of site works for the ‘Edmonton Clinic’ and associated improvements for the Northern Jubilee Auditorium.
The focus for this project is the development and implementation of a master plan for the public realm. Its objective is to integrate these large scale projects within the public realm, by adopting a series of common design strategies and elements.
It focuses on:
- establishing at grade connections among the facilities
- the development of strategies for the creation of places, shared among the proponents
- the identification of a common "motif" using common elements and materials. It includes overall tree planting, site paving and walkways, and furniture
- respecting an existing LRT station and trackway, sight lines to existing buildings, and ongoing operation of existing facilities.
Overall site planning and design is framed in part by identifying opportunities for:
- developing an enhanced grid of streets for pedestrian and vehicle use with attention to enhancing 115 Street, 83 Avenue and Jubilee Road.
- creating site and building programme specific amenity. The site programme in support of the building focuses on:
- emphasizing the principal entrances to the buildings
- enabling an ease of pedestrian access around all sides of the building
- offering selected user and visitor amenity, particularly seating near building entrances
- introducing planting strategies specific to both tradition of street character and creating places of planting indigenous to the region.
- This is an example of good city building.
- Quite a sophisticated landscape design working to glue a number of awkward spaces left over in plan.
- Quite rare to have a landscape design that is so intensive.
- Collection of many small moves which tries to change fabric of university for the better.