Main page content begins here

Edmonton Zoning Bylaw 12800 regulates the design, construction, installation, relocation, alteration and repair of Signs located on private property.

Read about up-to-date COVID-19 related service adjustments for development, permit, licensing, and construction & inspection services.

About the Service
Sign Permits

All signs on private property in Edmonton require sign permits except those listed in Section 12.2(1)(t) of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw.

For permanent signs, an Sign Combo Permit is required. The application must be approved by both Development and by Building, to receive a Sign Combo Permit.

Signs that encroach from private property into or above City property, easements of interest or right of ways (ROWs) may be subject to an Encroachment Agreement and additional fees.

Two Types of Permanent Signs

On-premises Signs means any sign displaying copy that identifies or advertises a business, activity, product, service or entertainment located on the premises or site where the sign is displayed.

Off-premises Signs means any sign displaying copy that directs attention to a business, activity, product, service or entertainment that cannot be considered as the principal products sold nor a principal business, activity, service or entertainment provided on the premises or site where the sign is displayed.

Email for questions regarding permanent signs.

Temporary On-premise and Off-premise Signs

Zones and Regulations

All properties within Edmonton are zoned and that zoning determines which type of signs are allowed. The Zoning Bylaw outlines the uses and regulations of a particular zone. 

Edmonton Zoning Bylaw 

Determine the Zone

Use to find the zone your proposed sign is in. 

Note the Plan in Effect and the Overlay that may also apply.

If the property is in a Direct Control zone, please email to find out more about those specific regulations. A Direct Control Zone may refer to an archived bylaw that was in effect at the time the Direct Control Zone was approved.

View the historical list of bylaws.

Determine the Sign Schedule

Once you have determined the zone, refer to the specific zone regulations in the Zoning Bylaw to find the sign schedule which contains the sign regulations that are applicable to the proposed sign on the subject property.

Signs in Old Strathcona

If you're planning to install a sign in the Old Strathcona Historical Commercial District, please refer to The Old Strathcona User's Guide to Signage for more information about requirements. 

How Do I Obtain the Service?
Submission Requirements

Signs require both a development and building permit, the permits have been combined into one application form Permanent Sign Application Form.

Complete the Permanent Sign Application Form and include all required information as indicated, as well as all application fees.

Some signage will require confirmation by a professional engineer for its structural capacity, such as projecting and freestanding signs. Where a professional engineer is required, the drawings must be submitted with the original stamp and signature of the professional engineer.

Application Submission

For a Permanent Sign permit, the easiest way to submit an application is by email. If you require additional assistance in applying, you may visit the Edmonton Service Centre. Submitted documents must be legible when printed on a maximum paper size of 11" x 17".

Ensure your email subject headline reads as follows:

  • Project Address [Business Name, # And Type of Sign]
  • Example #1: 10250 - 101 Street NW [Joe's Office Supply Store, 3 Fascia Signs]
  • Example #2: 554 - 250 Street NW [Joe's Cafe, 1 Freestanding Sign, 2 Fascia Signs]

City of Edmonton
2nd Floor, Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton AB T5J 0J4

Office Hours:
Monday to Friday

Payment may be cash, personal cheque (payable to the City of Edmonton), Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Interac.

What the City does with your request
Application Processing

When the application is made, our Intake staff will check the completeness of the application. Fees must be paid, and all the required information must be submitted to accept the application. Once the application is complete, the intake staff will create the job. The job is assigned to a Development Officer to review the application against the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw.

Signs may require circulation to other relevant stakeholders as part of the review process (this may include departments such as Subdivision Planning).

The Development Officer will make a decision on the development. If approved the job will be forwarded to the Building Department for their review. Once Building has reviewed and approved the Building Permit, the Sign Combo Permit is issued. You will receive a copy of your approved permit by email to the email address provided on your application form. Please ensure that you enter the email address correctly.

You must have a permit prior to the installation of signs, or it is an offence which is subject to fines and penalties.


Fees are determined by the 2020 Development Permit and Related Fees listing.

Contact the City About This Service

Edmonton Service Centre
2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


We have reduced in-person services. This includes Edmonton Service Centre located at the Edmonton Tower and other locations, which are closed. This is to protect everyone’s health and safety. Learn how you can still access services at

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content