You must register, complete the required online training, receive volunteer approval and sign up for events before you are permitted to volunteer. Volunteers must be 18+ years old.
As a business owner or employee, you can make a difference by volunteering time or resources for a cleaner, safer city.
Create a team of employees or co-workers and adopt a block to combat litter, or clean up a section of Edmonton's river valley. Give non-profit groups a hand by hiring them to pick up litter, or support an artist and fight graffiti by donating a wall.
If you’re interested in picking up litter in your community, you may access free litter clean up supplies or sign up to formally volunteer at a Litter Pick Up Event or visiting a Big Bin Event to dispose of large items.
- Earth Day- Louise McKinney April 24
- Butt Blitz- Whyte Avenue May 4
- World Environment Day-June 5
- World Clean Up Day-September 21
If you would like to challenge yourself and others you can take 15 minutes to pick up litter. Free bags are available at Edmonton Public Libraries, starting May 4, 2019 while supplies last.
FREE Litter Pick Up Supplies will be available from March 15 until the end of September at these locations:
- Commonwealth Community Recreation Centre
- Clareview Community Recreation Centre
- The Meadows Community Recreation Centre
- Londonderry Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Mill Woods Recreation Centre
- Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre
- St.Francis Xavier Sports Centre
- Peter Hemingway Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Hardisty Fitness and Leisure Centre
- O’Leary Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Grand Trunk Fitness and Leisure Centre
- Kinsmen Sport Centre
Each spring, dozens of Edmonton community groups apply for help to get rid of any large, bulky items cluttering up the back alleys, streets or other areas in their neighbourhoods. Under the Community Bin Grant Program, the City offers funds on a first-come, first-served basis that can be used for bin rentals (including the truck, driver and disposal costs) and truck rentals to drive through the area and collect large items.