Residential Curbside Collection
Residential Bin Collection
If you live in a multi-unit complex (i.e. condo or apartment) and presently set out your waste in bags at the curb or back alley (hand waste collection), changes are coming to the way you sort and set-out your waste. If you currently put your waste in a residential bin, this change will not impact you.
On September 10, 2019, City Council approved the 25-year Waste Strategy, which includes transitioning from hand collection to automated collection (Edmonton Cart Rollout).
City Council also approved changes to the Waste Services Bylaw (18590), including customer reclassification. The updated Bylaw ensures that all residences pay a rate that matches the waste service they receive. The services include:
- Residential Curbside Collection: Customers whose waste is collected in bags or carts at the curb, in the alley, or another on-site location.
- Residential Bin Collection: Customers who use shared bins (typically condominiums or apartments).
Visit edmonton.ca/futureofwaste for more information.
What does this mean?
The City is evaluating all multi-family sites that are currently receiving hand waste collection to determine whether properties should transition to the Residential Curbside Collection or Residential Bin Collection. Each site has undergone or will undergo a vigorous evaluation to reach the most appropriate waste management solution. Current hand collection will no longer be an option. Thus, each property will transition to either bins or carts. If your waste is currently collected in a bin, your service will not change at this time.
Moving to Carts
- Cart distribution begins in summer 2020 or in 2021 (depending on location)
- An initial rate increase of approximately $3.38/month, adjusted for inflation, will occur in the spring of 2021
- Transition to the full Residential Curbside Collection rate over five years (adjusted for inflation)
Moving to Bins
- Waste and recycle bin distribution begins in summer and fall of 2020, concluding in 2021
- A City employee will contact each site decision-maker to arrange a delivery date
- No monthly waste rate increase (inflation rate increases apply)