Winter Cart Concerns
In cold, snowy conditions, please take steps ensure your carts are accessible for collection and can be emptied easily.
- When setting out your carts, please ensure they aren’t blocked by snow. A good place to leave your carts is at the end of your driveway so you won’t need to do any extra shoveling.
- On collection day, be sure to place your cart at least 1 metre away from other carts, cars or other objects, including snowbanks.
- Place your cart on level ground, not in or on top of a snowbank.
Avoid Frozen Organics
- To stop items from freezing to the cart, place crumpled newspaper or shredded paper in the bottom of your cart, or line your cart with a paper yard waste bag.
- Use a broom or shovel to loosen stuck or frozen items so the cart empties easily.
- Avoid storing your green cart indoors between collections, as liquid can collect and freeze when moved outdoors.