- Get to know the grant purpose, policy and guidelines
- Read the grant guide for each grant program to ensure you qualify
- Ensure you have your Account ID and registered organization email with the City of Edmonton Grants Office
Recreation and Multicultural Travel Grants assist Edmontonians with the cost of travel to an invitational, national or international recreational or multicultural event. (As per City Bylaw 14157 and City Policy C211F)
For Online Applications
With our online grant applications, you will need two pieces of information to apply to any grant program:
- Your City of Edmonton grants assigned account ID
- Your organization or applicant email that is registered with the City of Edmonton Grants Office
To create or retrieve your City of Edmonton account ID:
- Fill out the Account ID Request Form and a city employee will get back to you within 2 business days with your account information
If you have any issues with the online application form, please call the Grants Office for assistance at 780-496-4933.
Have you already started an application?so you do not have to start over. Need to start a new application? .
Once you enter your Account ID and Organization email, your account information will automatically populate on the application. If you noticed that your information is not correct in our system (for example, an address change or main contact change), please contact our office as soon as possible to update your account. Incorrect information can result in a delay or inability to process your grant request.
To update your account:
Event and Applicant Eligibility
- Be sponsored by a registered not-for-profit organization
- Provide an opportunity for the Applicant to publicly demonstrate their skill or ability
- Be a resident within the City of Edmonton boundaries
- Be an individual, group or team of amateur status
- Be sponsored by or affiliated with a registered not-for-profit recreation or multicultural organization
- Be able to demonstrate a level of achievement or excellence in their field
- Be selected or invited to attend based on excellence in their field
- Bring Provincial, National, or International recognition to the City of Edmonton
- Apply within 90 days after the event – applications received prior to the event will not be considered
- Athletes or Sport Teams involved in amateur sport (must use the Sports Travel Grants)
- Individuals or teams/groups representing Educational Institutions or Corporate Entities
- Events hosted by Educational Institutions or Corporate Entities
- Hotel accommodations
- Travel expenses purchased on Air Miles or other travel reward Programs
- Transportation from airport to city and/or within city where event is being held
Applicant may receive 25% of the eligible costs up to the following maximums:
Team - $2,200
Individual - $220
Team - $3,650
Individual - $365
Team - $4,375
Individual - $450
- The individual, team/group is eligible for 1 travel grant from the City of Edmonton per calendar year.
- A team/group with up to 10 participants may include transportation costs of one guardian/official and more than ten may include transportation costs of 2 guardians/officials.
- 25% of car or bus rental from airport to event location may be considered if the event is located outside the city.
- 25% of oversize baggage can be claimed only if equipment is required for participation in the event.
- Travel by personal vehicle is compensated at a rate of $.50/km. Kilometres are calculated from city centre to city centre for each vehicle with a minimum of 3 participants per vehicle if travelling as a team. Verify the kilometres using the Alberta Motor Association or Travel Alberta online mileage calculators.
- Grant awards of under $100 will not be considered.
- Grants are awarded subject to the availability of funds.
Please include the following documents to your application:
- An official letter from the hosting organization acknowledging the applicant as an invited participant
- Receipt or proof of payment for travel costs
- Proof of attendance
- A list of names and addresses of participants and officials/guardians travelling from Edmonton (team applications only)
- Verification of travel distance from Alberta Motor Association or Travel Alberta (only applicable if applying for mileage)
Note: Documents should be in PDF format– any spreadsheets should be attached as Excel files.