Deadline for grant applications is Wednesday May 1, 2019
Thorough planning will allow applicants to have a more detailed understanding of the requirements for the later phases for their proposed facility.
The Planning Grant will fund work up to the end of concept phase at 50% of eligible costs. To support further project development the grant may also fund the schematic design of the project at 33% of eligible costs.
Anything past schematic design will not generally be considered as part of a project planning application. If schematic design is included in a planning grant application, it may not be included in a Construction Grant application for the same overall project.
See Community Group Led Construction Projects Guide and Templates for definitions, detailed information about phases and expectations and templates that must be used for the mandatory documents.
Contact the Grants Office to be assigned a City Liaison if you do not currently have one.
Complete and submit the online application with all required documents attached by 11:59pm on Wednesday May 1, 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Generally a planning project should cost at least $50,000
- The program will fund more than 1 planning grant for the same proposed facility.
- The planning grant supports the development of a business case
- The grant also supports feasibility studies, planning studies, public engagement plan, basic concept drawings and may include schematic drawings (detailed design or construction drawings are not eligible)
- Verification of board support
- Confirmation the project aligns with the applicant’s and the City of Edmonton’s strategic goals and objectives
- Verification that the proposed facility is an acceptable use for the zoning
- Confirmation of landowner permission–documentation of property ownership by the applicant AND, if not owned by applicant, confirmation from owner the project is acceptable within the terms of the lease/license agreement and the applicant has permission to undertake the project
The following documents, including the Required Documents Verification form, must be submitted as attachments with your online application when applying for planning grant funding.
Required Documents Verfication - CFPCG Planning Grant
- First time applicants only – Constitutional documents (must be date stamped by Alberta Corporate Registries) including:
- Application for incorporation
- Articles of incorporation
- Memorandum of association
- Articles of association
- Any amendments to the Constitutional Documents not already submitted to the Grants Office (must be date stamped by Alberta Registries)
- Most recent proof of filing of annual return
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) Form and VOID cheque (only required if EFT information hasn't been provided previously or if information needs to be updated)
- Project Budget Spreadsheet (only planning/design costs) indicating the percentage of recoverable GST for each line item
- Quotes or estimates for all items and amounts listed on the Project Budget spreadsheet - must show if GST has been included, if estimate includes both concept (pre-design costs) and post concept/design costs (e.g. design drawings), the vendor/supplier (e.g. architect) must break out the costs for concept/pre-design phase work, and post concept/design work
- Signed off Community Led Strategic Project Community Led Strategic Project Document
- Proposed schedule for project and planning for phase of work
- Project Committee Terms of Reference
- Drawing or rendering of the proposed facility or park development showing the general shape and size and essence of the design
- Cost Estimation Checklist
- Public Engagement Plan
- Activity Based Project Needs Assessment
- Project on City Land - confirmation from your City Liaison that property is on City land
- Project on private land - copy of Land Title verifying ownership by applicant or other non-City landlord
Approvals to Undertake Project
Approvals to Undertake Project
- Organization minutes to confirm project has approval of the board
- Copy of your organization’s strategic goals and objectives to verify that the project is in alignment with the community group and City of Edmonton’s strategic goals and objectives
Project on City land:
- City of Edmonton confirmation that the project is acceptable within the terms of the lease/license agreement - signed off lease/license agreement to be submitted as soon as received if not available at time of application
- Signed off Strategy Phase Readiness Criteria & Handover Package from the CGLCPG (if available & adjusted as required) - obtained from your City project manager or your City Liaison
Project on private land:
- Proof the proposed facility is an acceptable use for zoning
- Copy of Land Title verifying ownership
- If property not owned by applicant - confirmation applicant has permission to undertake project such as a letter from the Landlord/Owner with sufficient information to indicate permission given for the work being proposed for support from the City of Edmonton through this grant program OR an excerpt from the lease/license confirming applicant is allowed to undertake the project
- Something equivalent to the Strategy Phase Readiness Criteria & Handover Package from the CGLCPG (adjusted as required)
- Annual audited (or reviewed) financial statements for most recent fiscal year with prior year’s information included for comparison OR signed copy of previous year’s financial statements and minimally must include the following two statements:
- Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet)
- Statement of Operations (Statement of Revenue and Expenses, Income Statement)
- Bank or other Investment statements supporting the balances reflected on the Annual Statement of Financial Position–only required if annual statements not prepared by third party Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) or if internally reviewed/audited
- Bank reconciliation including outstanding cheques at the same period ending as the Annual Statement of Financial Position–only required if annual statements not prepared by third party CPA or if internally review/audited
- Year to date financial statements
- Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet)–no older than end of February (current year)
- Statement of Operations (Statement of Revenue and Expenses, Income Statement)–no older than end of February (current year)
- Bank or other investment statements supporting the balances reflected on the Year to Date Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet)
- Bank reconciliation including outstanding cheques at the same period ending as the Year to Date Statement of Financial Position (Balance Sheet)
For Online Applications
Before You Apply
- Get to know the grant purpose, policy and guidelines
- Read the grant guide for each grant program to ensure you qualify
- Ensure you have your Account ID and registered organization email with the City of Edmonton Grants Office
Do you know your Grant Account ID?
With our online grant applications, you will need two pieces of information to apply to any grant program:
- Your City of Edmonton grants assigned account ID
- Your organization or applicant email that is registered with the City of Edmonton Grants Office
To create or retrieve your City of Edmonton account ID:
- Fill out the Account ID Request Form and a city employee will get back to you within 2 business days with your account information
If you have any issues with the online application form, please call the Grants Office for assistance at 780-496-4933.
Need to update your account information?
Once you enter your Account ID and Organization email, your account information will automatically populate on the application. If you noticed that your information is not correct in our system (for example, an address change or main contact change), please contact our office as soon as possible to update your account. Incorrect information can result in a delay or inability to process your grant request.
To update your account: