The following safety tips will ensure that schools can prevent arson from taking place.
- Teach students to respect fire.
- Establish a Crime Stoppers program within the school where students can anonymously report crimes.
- Ensure that the building is well lit and install motion senor lighting on exterior walls.
- Install skirting and secure venting on portable classroom facilities.
- Consider installing fencing to close off alcoves and narrow spaces between buildings to deter vandals.
- Test alarm systems, automatic extinguishing systems and continue to conduct regular fire drills.
- Place dumpsters and sporting equipment storage facilities well away from the main building.