Main page content begins here

The City of Edmonton is committed to ensuring that Edmontonians living with a hearing loss enjoy access to City services and events.

Teletype (TTY) Services

The City of Edmonton has a computer-based system that allows TTY users to communicate with more City of Edmonton employees. This computer system replaces physical TTY machines with computer hardware and software that "rings" an employee's computer.

TTY Access Codes
TTY Phones - Bus & LRT

American Sign Language

ASL interpreters can be booked by request for City of Edmonton meetings and events. Please call 311 to book this service. Two weeks notice is required. ASL (American Sign Language) is the primary sign language used in Canada and the United States.

Real Time Captioning Services

When Real Time Captioning service is requested for an event or meeting, a captionist generates a transcript of the proceeding that appears on a screen or monitor for people to read as the event or meeting progresses.

The time delay between the speech and the appearance of the typed text is generally less than two seconds and allows readers to fully participate in the proceedings. Captioning also provides the secondary benefit of providing an electronic record of the proceedings.

The Real Time Captioning is effective for the deaf or hard of hearing, but also for people with certain types of learning disabilities and individuals whose first language is not English. Please call 311  to book this service. Two weeks notice is required.

Requesting ASL and Captioning Services

Please call 311 to request ASL and Real Time Captioning Services. You will need to provide the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your organization (if applicable)
  • Event the service is needed for
  • Date, time and location of that event
  • Number of people attending who will require the ASL or captioning service

Two weeks notice is required when requesting these services.

Assistive Listening Devices (ALD)

Available at City Hall only.

Citizens attending functions at City Hall can request to use the Assisted Listening Device. The system is patched into City Hall's sound system, transmitting sound signals through infrared to special headphones worn by hard of hearing users.

This system is available in Council Chamber. A portable system is available in other City Hall rooms upon request. Contact 311 for this service.

Two weeks notice is required when requesting these services.

Other Alternative Communications Services

Edmontonians requiring other alternative communications services are asked to contact 311.

For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online

In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

TTY 780-944-5555

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content