This property, environment and life-saving awareness campaign was launched by Edmonton Fire Rescue Services to reduce the number of fires caused by the improper disposal of smoking material and to raise awareness of the tragic effects these fires have on communities.
Find answers to questions about the Stub It Right, Don't Ignite campaign launched by Edmonton Fire Rescue Services.
Since 2010 the improper disposal of smoking materials has caused over $46 million in damages across Edmonton and displaced hundreds of people from multi-family buildings. These dangerous and devastating fires have a severe impact on the life, property and environment of our city and they are completely preventable. It is important for people to fully understand the risk their actions may cause themselves and others.
Our goal is to educate Edmontonians how to properly dispose of their smoking materials and to build awareness of how devastating these particular multi-family building fires can be for the environment, communities and individuals. This campaign is also focused on working with property owners, agents and residents to implement safer smoking practices.
Fires in multi-family buildings can have a harmful effect on air quality. In addition, repairing and rebuilding damaged wood frame buildings requires an extensive amount of natural resources and has a negative impact on Edmonton’s carbon footprint.
- Property owners and agents are being asked to voluntarily determine if each balcony of their building is considered a smoking area or a non-smoking area.
- On balconies deemed smoking areas, Edmonton Fire Rescue Services (EFRS) is encouraging owners and agents provide an ashtray. EFRS recommends an enclosed commercial grade weather resistant receptacle designed for smoking material.
- On balconies deemed non-smoking areas, EFRS encourages property owners or agents to install a “No Smoking” sign or decal where it can be seen in plain sight.
- Residents and guests will be reminded to refrain from smoking on the balcony if it is restricted or dispose of their smoking material in the provided receptacle where smoking is permitted.