Fire Cadet Applications are being accepted online until April 30, 2021.
The Edmonton Fire Cadets program is an opportunity for high school students to learn about Edmonton Fire Rescue Services while developing important life skills needed to become career firefighters in the City of Edmonton.
The program’s mission is to enable cadets to better understand the firefighting career through an experience that balances both classroom and hands-on learning. Each cadet will learn mental and physical wellness, a sense of self-responsibility, personal growth, leadership, teamwork, and fire prevention skills.
What do Fire Cadets do?
Fire Cadets will have the opportunity to:
- Receive CPR and First Aid certification
- Fight real fires in controlled scenarios
- Cut apart cars using vehicle extrication tools
- Practice search and rescue techniques
- Use rope rescue techniques to climb down a building
- Receive Fall Protection certification
- Gain the opportunity to be tested and certified in NFPA 1001 Level 1
- And much, much more
Through career internships and work experience, fire cadets have the opportunity to earn up to 6 high school credits for their involvement in the program.