We are reducing in-person services. This includes Edmonton Service Centre located at the Edmonton Tower and other locations. This is to protect everyone’s health and safety. Learn how you can still access services at edmonton.ca/ServiceChanges
Electrical Annual Permits are site specific and are intended for minor installations and maintenance at a specific commercial, industrial or institutional premise.
Under the Alberta Safety Codes Act and Permit Regulations, an electrical permit is required to install, alter or add to an electrical system.
Annual Permits are site specific and are intended for minor installations and maintenance and generally apply to Commercial, Industrial or Institutional premises.
The City of Edmonton issues Annual Electrical permits.
Anyone doing any electrical installation should consult the EPCOR Power Connection Process guide, which has details on setting up power in a new location or changing an existing service.
Fill out the "Annual Permit Application Form" and:
You must apply in person at our office (office address below) for an Annual Permit.
- Faxed or mailed in applications will not be accepted. Online applications are not available at this time.
Who may apply for an Annual Permit:
- An owner or operator of the premises provided they have a Certified Journeyman Electrician performing the work. A supporting letter accompanying the application will be required.
- A Certified Journeyman Electrician employed full time by the company. A supporting letter will be required.
- An Electrical Contractor retained by the company to perform the work. A supporting letter will be required.
Annual Permit Conditions:
- An Annual Permit does not entitle the holder to effect major electrical additions or alterations to the premises.
- The Annual Permit holder shall maintain an accurate record of all minor electrical repairs, alterations or additions. These records shall be retained for a minimum of two years and made available to the Electrical Safety Codes Officer upon request.
- Annual Permits are limited to a one year term effective on the issue date.
- A separate Electrical Permit is required for all major repairs, alterations and additions not covered under the Annual Permit.
City of Edmonton