Are you interested in a position where you can use your leadership skills to coordinate Transit service for citizens while maintaining their safety and satisfaction? If you have great interpersonal skills, a knack for multitasking and a desire to lead, the role of LRT Operations Supervisor may appeal to you.
The Supervisor of LRT Operations is responsible for planning and coordinating LRT service, LRT Control and LRT Training. The position reports to the Director of LRT.
The Supervisor of LRT Operations is responsible for regular scheduled and special event service, and system safety. In addition to planning and staffing for LRT service delivery, the Supervisor of LRT Operations is responsible for supervising and providing direction to the LRT Inspectors, LRT Training Instructors, Motormen, and administrative staff in the LRT division. The Supervisor is also involved in recruitment and orientation of new staff, and evaluating performance of LRT staff.
The Supervisor of LRT Operations must have a thorough understanding of LRT operations so that sound decisions can be made when changes are being considered. The Supervisor is responsible for operational input on system improvements, design, and testing of new lines. The Supervisor is also involved in special projects and expansion planning, and assigns project work to the LRT Inspectors.
The Supervisor of LRT Operations works out of an office in the D.L. MacDonald Garage. There is constant activity and a need to stay on top of things; it can be challenging.
Hours of Work
The Supervisor of LRT Operations works standard business hours Monday to Friday. However, the Supervisor must be available at all times and is expected to work additional hours as required as there is only one Supervisor of LRT Operations.
What the Supervisor of LRT Operations Likes About This Job
- The interaction with a variety of people and providing support to LRT staff.
- Being a leader provides a feeling of value.
- The support of a good team.
- The variety of work and opportunities for special assignments. The role is evolving.
- Opportunities for promotion.
- The technology involved with running the trains; the opportunity to use computer skills.
Unique Characteristics and Challenges of This Job
The Supervisor of LRT Operations must be able to coordinate several different job functions and keep everyone informed. Juggling the responsibility for several projects, committee work and supervising the operation all at the same time is standard.
Each LRT station is unique and has different issues and challenges. The Supervisor of LRT Operations must recognize this and deal with it on a daily basis. When there are track shutdowns or incidents, the Supervisor of LRT Operations is responsible for maintaining and coordinating service.
Attracting Bus Operators to the Motorman job and retaining them is an important aspect of this job. The Supervisor of LRT Operations is also involved in assisting Operators in becoming comfortable with the monitoring of LRT operations.
- You have good knowledge of the system from both a technical and mechanical perspective.
- You have a high level of energy; you are driven.
- You are a team player.
- You can evaluate situations and make decisions quickly; new information comes in often.
- You are adept at multi-tasking and able to coordinate tasks and set priorities.
- You can handle pressure.
- You are skilled at troubleshooting and dealing with grey areas in procedures.
- You are respectful of others.
- You have good coaching skills.
- You have excellent problem-solving skills.
- You have effective communication skills.
- You have effective interpersonal skills.
Qualifications and Skills
- Completion of Grade 12, supplemented by courses in administration, and organizational behaviour.
- Experience as an Inspector; must know the LRT Rulebook.
- Eight years of progressively responsible experience, some of which involves LRT operations.
- Customer relations skills.
- Excellent planning and organizing capabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise.
- Ability to gather and analyze relevant data and prepare reports.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Ability to handle emergency situations.
- Ability to multi-task with attention to detail in a fast-paced Transit environment.
The Supervisor of LRT Operations is a management position. Classification, compensation and working conditions are governed by the Total Rewards Program for management.
Preparing for This Job
Supervisory experience and experience as an LRT Inspector would help to prepare candidates for this role.