DATS is a door-to-door public transportation service operated by ETS for adults who can not use regular ETS service because of physical or cognitive disability. DATS Operators drive wheelchair lift-equipped buses (passenger vans) that have up to 8 seats and room for up to 6 wheelchairs. These buses contain GPS equipment, computerized mapping features and interactive touch screen computers for communication with the DATS Service Control Centre.
Customer care is an essential element of the position of DATS Operator and applicants should have well-developed people skills. Many of DATS customers are regular users and DATS Operators have a unique opportunity to get to know their clientele in a personal and caring atmosphere.
DATS Operators must be able meet the physical demands of the job, including operating the lift van, securing passengers and wheelchairs, and providing assistance to passengers using mobility aids such as walkers and wheelchairs.
The nature of the DATS service means that routes and travel patterns are always different and the job takes drivers all over the city. DATS Operators must have a good knowledge of the layout of the Edmonton area and be able to read maps. All DATS routes start and finish daily at the Percy Wickman Garage (5610-86 Street).
Hours of Work
DATS service operates from approximately 5:15am - 12am Sunday through Thursday and 5:15am - 1:30am Fridays and Saturdays. There are two categories of part time positions - Part Time 40 and Part Time 60. Shifts are fixed and typically involve weekend work. Unpaid lunch breaks are given within any shift over 5 hours.
Part Time 40 Operators work up to 40 hours bi-weekly, usually on weekends.
Part Time 60 Operators work up to 60 hours bi-weekly, usually weekends plus one weekday.
Note: optional extra work may be available in addition to scheduled hours.
Rates quoted (2010 rates) are in accordance with the collective agreement between the Amalgamated Transit Union 569 (DATS Unit) and the City of Edmonton.
- Training Rate - $20.74 per hour.
- Post Training Rate - $23.26 to $26.27 per hour.
Note: Part time Operators are not eligible for sick or pension benefits.
- Grade eleven (11) or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Proven ability to deal directly and professionally with the public. Experience working with the disabled community is an asset.
- Valid class 5 Motor Vehicle Operator's license (non probationary and non graduated class 5 status).
- Applicants must provide a current driver's abstract (obtained within 14 days of the video test date) showing no suspensions and no more than 3 demerits recorded over the previous 2 year period. The abstract is not required at the time of application, but it must be presented before testing or interviewing can proceed.
- Ability to pass pre-employment testing, including a map reading test.
- Applicants must be able to pass a Functional Abilities Recruitment Evaluation test (F.A.R.E.) and a City of Edmonton medical examination.
- Applicants must successfully complete an acceptable police clearance prior to training.
- Selected applicants must pass the Class 4 written test (at applicant's expense), Class 4 medical exam and Class 4 road exam (at applicants expense) in order to obtain a Class 4 Alberta Motor Vehicle Operator's licence prior to training.
- Selected applicants must successfully complete the DATS Operator Training Program (20 days).
- Internal ETS applicants must have completed all mandatory in-house training.
- Applicants must provide 3 professional references and must pass a pre-employment reference check.
To ensure the integrity and security of Edmonton Transit's Operator Trainee hiring process, only a Successful/Unsuccessful result from all testing will be disclosed. Detailed information about test results or the scores will not be provided.