Main page content begins here

Individuals can claim a 15% credit on their federal income tax returns for public transit passes for themselves, a spouse or common-law partner, and dependent children under age 19.

ETS advises pass holders to keep BOTH their expired passes and sales receipt in order to meet the Canada Revenue Agency requirements for claiming the tax credit. ETS and our sales agents cannot re-issue receipts so be sure to get yours at the time of purchase.

Fares lists the prices for the current year while historical fares list prices for the past three years.

The Public Transit Tax Credit  is only applicable to passes purchased between January 1, 2017 to June 30, 2017, as this tax credit was eliminated in Budget 2017.

What is the tax credit for public transit passes?

The tax credit for public transit passes is a non-refundable tax credit for the cost of buying a monthly (or longer duration) pass for commuting on buses, streetcars, subways, commuter trains and ferries.

How do I claim the tax credit for public transit passes?

You will be able to claim the tax credit for public transit passes on your income tax return for the amounts you have paid for travel that occurs during the tax year.

What will I need to support my claim?
In Edmonton you will need to keep your expired transit passes and your sales receipts to support your claim. These two documents contain all of the information that the Canada Revenue Agency requires. (See list below for the required information)
  1. an indication that it is a monthly (or longer duration) pass;
  2. the date or period for which the pass is valid;
  3. the name of the transit authority or organization issuing the pass;
  4. the amount paid for the pass; and,
  5. the identity of the rider.

Cancelled cheques or credit card statements (along with expired passes) can be used in lieu of a receipt to support your claim.

You will not need to submit any documentation when you file your return, but you must keep it in case the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) asks for it in verifying your claim.

How much can I claim?

You can claim the full amount paid for your transit pass, or for the cost of passes for multiple transit systems (see question 5 below).

The tax credit is a non-refundable tax credit, which means that the amount you claim is multiplied by the lowest personal income tax rate for the year and is then deducted from your tax otherwise payable.

I use more than one method of public transit to commute. Can I claim more than one type of pass?

Yes, you can claim the full amount of any combination of transit passes.

Can I claim the credit on behalf of my family?

Yes, you can claim the tax credit for public transit passes on behalf of your spouse, common law partner, and your children under the age of 19, to the extent that these amounts have not already been claimed.

In my area, passes for January are on sale starting mid-December. If I buy my January pass in December, does it mean that I cannot claim it?

As long as you keep your receipt and your pass, you can claim amounts you have paid for travel.

If my monthly pass is lost, stolen or confiscated, can I get a replacement pass from ETS?

ETS does not replace lost, stolen or confiscated passes. If you feel your pass was confiscated in error, an appeal can be filed with ETS Security.

Where can I get more information about this tax credit?
Additional information on how to claim the tax credit for public transit passes will be posted soon on the Canada Revenue Agency Web site


Which ETS fare products are eligible?
  • Adult Monthly Pass
  • Student School Monthly Pass
  • Post Secondary Student Monthly Pass
  • Senior Monthly Pass
  • Senior Annual Pass
  • Low Income Senior Annual Pass
  • DATS Monthly Pass
  • AISH Monthly Pass
  • Youth Pass
  • Splash & Ride Pass (discontinued in 2010)
  • U-Pass

End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content