Main page content begins here

Process to change land use designation for a parcel of land to enable development.

 In the coming months, we will be implementing a number of revisions to our planning and development services and processes. Visit to learn more.

Rezoning Defined

Rezoning is changing the legal land use designation that applies to a piece of land. Rezoning is needed if you want to develop your property in a way that isn’t allowed by the current zoning.

All rezoning applications must be reviewed and decided upon by City Council at a land use Public Hearing. The Rezoning Process Chart summarizes this process.

A Development Application may also be required once a rezoning has been approved, prior to commencing construction.

Zoning Defined

The Edmonton Zoning Bylaw is the rule book for all development that occurs within Edmonton. It regulates the what, where, and how land is used in Edmonton.

These rules are described in zones that are assigned to all properties within the City. Each zone lists a number of uses and regulations which govern how the property may be developed.

If the development you are considering is not allowed by the current zoning, you may choose to apply to rezone the property.

It is important to carefully review the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw before selecting a proposed zone and making a rezoning application to the City. If you are unsure of what zone would work for you, City staff can assist.

Applying for Rezoning

Rezoning applications must be submitted online. The City uses a web-based  Land Development Application (LDA) process for all applications to change a property's zoning.

You will need to register for an account if you are a new applicant.

Application Requirements

There are a number of application requirements that must be satisfied before a rezoning application is considered complete.

When you apply you will need to provide:

  • A digital copy of the Certificate of Title issued by a registry office less than 30 days before your application submission
  • A map showing the property and proposed zoning
  • A short statement describing the reason for the application

Depending on the type of rezoning application, additional information may also be required. For example, most rezoning applications will require a Phase 1 Environmental Site Assessment prepared by a certified professional.

Sometimes rezoning applications will require the following professional reports:

  • Traffic Impact Assessment
  • Environmental Impact Assessment
  • Geo-technical Slope Stability Assessment
  • Abandoned Wells Declaration
  • Industrial Risk Assessment

A rezoning application may also require an application to amend a governing land use plan or an application to close a road, and a site sign may be required at the applicant’s expense.

The application will not be processed until it is complete and the  land development application fees are paid.

Processing the Rezoning Application

After the application fees are paid, and all required information has been received, a Land Development Application (LDA) file number is assigned to the application, and the City’s review process begins.

Circulation and Notification

Planning Coordination circulates the application to other civic departments and non-City agencies for their review and comment.

Planning Coordination mails a notice to all property owners within 60 metres of the lands being rezoned, as well as affected community leagues and business associations, advising them that a rezoning application has been received by the City.

This circulation area may be increased by Planning Coordination if the rezoning is felt to affect properties more than 60 metres from the subject site.

If your application is complex, under a Site Specific Direct Development Control Provision (DC2), a 21-day pre-application notice to all property owners within 60 metres of the lands being rezoned, affected community leagues and business associations is required before the City can accept an application, in accordance with the Zoning Bylaw.

Public Meetings

Depending on complexity of the application, circulation comments, and community response, the City may decide to host a public meeting which typically has three goals:

  1. Allows the applicant to share information about the application
  2. City provides information about the planning process
  3. Obtains input from attendees

Scheduling and holding a public meeting will likely add a minimum of two months to the application review process.

Review and Recommendation

A City planner manages the application and reviews all feedback including technical report comments, and works with the applicant to resolve any outstanding concerns.

The file planner prepares a report with a recommendation for City Council as part of a Council Public Hearing agenda. The City administration recommendation is either for support or non-support of the application.

Planning Coordination works with the City’s Law Branch in preparing bylaws and resolutions as part of the recommendation report for Council.

Once finalized, the Public Hearing report is forwarded to the City Clerk’s Office to be placed on City Council’s Public Hearing agenda.

Before a rezoning application can proceed to City Council Public Hearing, the rezoning application must be advertised twice in the newspaper and notices must be mailed to all property owners within the notification area, affected community leagues and business associations.

Because of this requirement, the City requires each applicant to pay advertising fees before the rezoning application is added to a Public Hearing agenda.

Council Consideration of Rezoning Bylaws

The Municipal Government Act (MGA) requires that City Council hold a Public Hearing for all rezoning bylaws (and associated statutory plan amendments).

During the Public Hearing, Council may hear from the applicant and any other members of the public interested in the rezoning. The applicant is expected to attend this meeting.

The Public Hearing notice that is sent before the Council date provides information on the hearing process and how people can submit comments and/or register to be heard at the Public Hearing.

At the Public Hearing, Council considers each bylaw (and associated plan amendments).

Rezoning bylaws considered by Council may be approved, refused, referred back to administration, or postponed to a future council date. If your rezoning application is refused by City Council, you cannot submit the same rezoning application for 12 months.

Planning Process Help

If you need additional assistance with the planning process, contact the Office of the City Clerk or the file planner.

Commercial and Industrial Area Planning Applications

Request to Speak at a Council or Committee Meeting

Agendas are available approximately 3 weeks before the public hearing date. Anyone who wishes to speak at a public hearing can register online or call the City Clerk’s office at 780-496-8178.

Planning Applications in Other Neighbourhoods

For information on all current and recent planning applications across other neighbourhoods in Edmonton, visit Planning Applications.

Using City Maps Tool for Zoning Information

The tool provides information on in-progress rezoning applications received before April 1, 2017.
To use it, follow these steps:
  1. Go to, and select "Zoning” from the menu
  2. Navigate to an area on the map or enter an address to search
  3. In the top right legend, select the green checkbox for “In progress rezoning applications”
  4. Information like the application date, status and a link to the current (more detailed) document(s) is shown in the box at the bottom of the page

For More Information

Edmonton Service Centre

2nd Floor, 10111 104 Avenue NW
Edmonton, AB  T5J 0J4

Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday
8am to 4:30pm


In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content