Main page content begins here

What is a Road Closure?

In the context of a land development application (LDA), a road closure is an application to permanently close a portion of public roadway. To permanently close a road, a road closure bylaw must be passed by City Council and a sales agreement must be negotiated and signed by the City and the applicant.

Anyone interested in applying for a road closure should first consult with the City by calling 780-944-0118 to determine if the road right-of-way is surplus land before submitting an application.

In many cases, the decision to make an application to close a road, or portion of a road, depends on the purchase price. If the City confirms that the road in question is surplus, the applicant may contact the Real Estate and Housing Branch by calling 780-496-6000 for an estimate of the land costs.

Application Fees

Fees are not required at the time of application. Once your application has been reviewed and accepted, the applicant will be sent an invoice with the correct fee amount. Fees must be paid before formal review and circulation can commence.

2019 Land Development Application Fees
(Effective January 1, 2019)

Please note that the applicant is also responsible for all fees associated with the sale, including but not limited to soil tests, surveys, Land Titles registrations and utility relocations if required.

After a road closure is approved by Council, the closed road is typically consolidated with the applicant’s land by way of a plan of survey.

Minimum Application Requirements

Land Development Applications, including road closures, are processed online only – no paper applications are accepted. See the Land Development Applications page for information about online applications.

To make a road closure application, you will need to submit:

  • A map of the proposed road closure area
  • A cover letter describing the reason for the application

If you want to apply in person or need assistance, please visit the Edmonton Service Centre between 8am and 4:30pm Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays). Staff can assist in creating an LDA online at one of our kiosks.

How long does it take?

Road closures generally take 8 to 10 months to process. However, processing time can be longer if complex planning issues arise. See the Permanent Road Closure Process flowchart for details. 

How can fees be paid?

Fees can be paid two ways:

  • Online with a credit card after you log into your account
  • By cheque (print out the invoice, attach a cheque, and mail it to the address indicated on the invoice)
    • If you have a client who is paying the invoice, send the email with the PDF to your client
What legislation grants the City the authority to permanently close roads?

The Municipal Government Act governs the road closure process, including rights-of-way, road allowance, or lanes. 

For More Information

Planning Coordination



To determine if the road right-of-way is surplus land:


For purchase costs of a proposed road closure area

Title Property Sales, Sustainable Development


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content