The planning and consultation process for rezoning large sites in mature neighbourhoods was approved by City Council on February 4, 2009.
The City of Edmonton has a planning and consultation process specific to the rezoning and redevelopment of large sites in mature neighbourhoods. These are typically sites of one hectare or more, which is equivalent to approximately two-thirds the size of a standard city block. The process was approved by City Council in February 2009.
About the Large Site Rezoning Process
The Large Site Rezoning Process is a series of steps that guide developers, communities, and the City through the planning and consultation process for the redevelopment of large residential infill sites. Detailed information is available in the link to the right.
Unique Elements of the Process
- Developers meet with Sustainable Development before preparing detailed plans for large infill sites and before making a formal application.
- Sustainable Development initiates community involvement before a formal application is made. Consultation continues throughout the process.
- A Community Working Group is selected by the community and represents residents in discussions with the City and the applicant.
- A Departmental Review Committee provides early and coordinated input from city departments.
- Site Vision and Context Plans are prepared, where necessary, to provide detailed policy direction for the redevelopment of the large site and to ensure integration with the surrounding area.
Benefits of the Process
- More comprehensive and earlier opportunity for community input.
- Clear direction to developers early in the process on City policy and requirements.
- Reduced conflict between community and developers.
If you are considering development on a large site, or if there is a large site in your community that could be developed:
- Review the Large Site Rezoning Process and the Residential Infill Guidelines.
- Review Section H of the Residential Infill Guidelines which contains detailed guidelines for development of large sites.
- Review the Zoning Bylaw for submission requirements for DC2 rezoning on large sites.
- Owners or prospective applicants should contact Sustainable Development to initiate the process at the earliest possible date.