The High-Rise Apartment Zone (RA9) is the tallest and highest density standard zone in Edmonton’s Zoning Bylaw. The zone is typically located in central neighbourhoods, as well as along existing and planned LRT routes. In summer of 2018, City Council passed a substantial update to the High-Rise Apartment Zone (RA9).
The properties that are zoned High-Rise Apartment Zone (RA9) are shown in this map. The purpose of the project is to update the regulations to address the barriers and issues that were identified by applicants.
This project is currently at the draft amendment stage.
The draft changes will be brought forward for consideration at the June 25, 2019 Urban Planning Committee meeting. This meeting will provide the Urban Planning Committee with an opportunity to give City staff further guidance before the proposed changes go to City Council Public Hearing for a final decision.
A target date for the amendments to advance to City Council Public Hearing for a final decision has not yet been set.
Draft Amendment Report Review
The Zoning Bylaw team has prepared draft changes to remove barriers that were identified in feedback received from several prospective applicants. We invite you to review the amendment report and provide feedback prior to end of day Tuesday April 16, 2019. Please email your comments to James Veltkamp, Principal Planner.
What We’re Thinking
The barriers and issues identified for consideration include:
- Exempting rooftop indoor amenity space from the calculation of maximum height
- Increased flexibility for landscaping above parkade structures
- Increasing height to account for structural beams where the tower transitions into the foundation
- Reducing visitor parking requirements
- Small increases in maximum allowable density (50 additional dwellings per hectare)
- Options for reducing the side setback for row housing or podium development less than three storeys; and
- Removing regulations that refer to other sections of Zoning Bylaw 12800