Main page content begins here

If located on reserve land, how can surplus undeveloped school building sites be used?

The Province of Alberta amended the Municipal Government Act in 2008. Municipalities now have additional options for land uses on vacant surplus reserve school sites. Municipalities can use surplus reserve school sites for:

  • Recreational facility
  • Public library
  • Police station, a fire station or an ambulance services facility or a combination of them
  • Non-profit day care facility
  • Non-profit senior citizens facility
  • Non-profit special needs facility
  • Municipal facility providing service directly to the public
  • Public Park 
  • Affordable housing

Any development would only occur on land originally intended for the school building and its adjacent parking area (known as the “building envelope”).

In order to develop another use, Council would have to hold a public hearing at which time, recommendations would be made to remove the reserve designation and to amend the appropriate statutory plan(s).

What is the City’s vision for these sites?

We envision these undeveloped serviced building sites supporting new residential development to meet existing and future needs. City administration is interested in exploring innovative residential proposals that are suitable for the community and which align with City Council’s strategic directions.

What input will citizens have on the form of development on these remaining sites?

The public will be engaged to discuss the merits of alternatives as they relate to compatibility in the community and to City Council’s strategic directions.

When does City administration need to hear from us? And how can communities most effectively communicate questions and concerns to City administration?

Once the City’s administration establishes its public involvement plan for these sites, we will be able to answer these questions and articulate both the process and estimated timelines. Until then, individuals and communities may communicate any concerns and ideas to

Why are we losing park land in our community?

No park land is being lost; these are undeveloped building sites which were intended for construction of a school. While the undeveloped building site visually appears to be open space, it has always been designated as a building site.

In some cases, temporary fields were established for community use while the City awaited school building construction. With declarations received from school boards that school buildings will not be built on these sites, City administration is identifying other opportunities that are consistent with City Council objectives for Edmonton.


For More Information

311 Contact Centre

Online Contact 311 Online

In Edmonton: 311
Outside Edmonton: 780-442-5311

TTY 780-944-5555

Building Housing Choices


End of page content. Please choose between the following five options:

Back to main menu Back to current page menu and content View current page breadcrumb Back to site search Continue to page footer content