While the decision to build townhomes has already been approved by Council, ten community members have been selected through an open application process to work with the builder to help design the new homes and ensure they are a good fit with the surrounding neighbourhood. This includes providing input on design elements, such as building orientation, number of homes, massing and rooflines, site access, vistas, and exterior home design details and landscaping.
The design engagement process started in December 2016 and is targeted to be complete in by the end of May 2017.
Project Integration Meeting #4 - April 4, 2017
Rohit Communities, City staff and the Bulyea Heights community design engagement volunteers met to discuss the integration of the First Place townhome site with the adjacent park redevelopment project. This meeting resulted in some changes to the First Place design layout, which is being finalized and approved by the design engagement committee.
Design Engagement Meeting #3 - March 31, 2017
Rohit Communities, City staff and the Bulyea Heights community design engagement volunteers met to share, discuss and agree on:
- Final site and landscaping plan
- Exterior building treatments
- Building colours and materials
- Building elevations for surface and drive-under parking options
Design Engagement Meeting #2 - January 23, 2017
Rohit Communities, City staff and the Bulyea Heights community design engagement volunteers met to share and discuss:
- Zoning opportunities/restrictions on the First Place site
- Siting and site layout options (site constraints, access locations, fencing requirements, integration with adjacent city land), including selection of best site layout option
- Private amenity space requirements
- Building elevations for surface parking and drive under townhomes
Design Engagement Meeting #1 - December 08, 2016
Rohit Communities, City staff and the Bulyea Heights community design engagement volunteers met to kick start Bulyea Heights First Place Program design. The purpose of this first meeting was to:
- Meet the Builder, Rohit Communities
- Discuss design process expectations, roles and responsibilities
- Introduce the building site - location, size, access etc.
- Go over neighbourhood related issues i.e. parking, transit, safety, emergency access, and fencing
- Consider site-specific challenges