- Participants will achieve a higher level of understanding and appreciation for other Fire Departments worldwide
- Participants will expand their knowledge and practical experience through exposure to diverse educational methods and theories
- Participants will experience temporary mobility with a minimum cost
- The department will achieve improved efficiency and enhanced morale due to the exchange of knowledge and expertise
- The department will build international networks and improve public relations
The Edmonton Firefighter Exchange Program is an opportunity for Edmonton Fire Rescue Services personnel to attain a higher level of professionalism by temporarily exchanging jobs with another firefighter in Canada or another country.
Exchanges can last up to 12 months and are approved by the Deputy Fire Chief of Operations. All requested exchange locations will be reviewed for consideration on a case-by-case basis.
Only full-time emergency personnel qualify for this program.
This includes firefighters however, emergency communication personnel, fire prevention personnel, fire investigators and training officer applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Applicants must be a minimum "first class," 4 years or more, and must be physically fit.
- Determine if you are eligible
- Review the Firefighter Exchange Checklist for steps on how to pursue the exchange opportunity
- Complete the Firefighter Program Application and submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Qualifying candidates and families will endeavour to exemplify the professional, social and moral qualities adhered to by this program and as a representative of Edmonton Fire Rescue Services.
Learn more about how to prepare for the exchange in terms of accommodations, arranging school for children, clothing and equipment, holidays and leave, illness, salaries and conditions, personal vehicle use, taxes, worker compensation and other insurance, and work visas.