In recent years, the City of Edmonton has gained international recognition for its Smart City efforts.
In 2020 Edmonton won an international Smart 50 Award in the category of Digital Transformation from Smart Cities Connect. The City created advanced artificial intelligence software to predict whether builders will pass low-risk inspection types while enabling the City to automatically pass inspections for builders with a good track record. This reduces red tape by the City, frees personnel to inspect higher risk projects and shortens timelines for builders.
Previous recognitions also include:
- 2019 Smart Cities Readiness Challenge winner from Smart Cities Council
- 2019 Smart 50 Awards from Smart Cities Connect for 'You Can Benefit' community support app and Open Space Autonomous Equipment pilot project
- 2019, 2017, 2016 and 2015 - Canada’s Most Open City - Public Sector Digest
- 2017 Top 7 Intelligent Communities by the Intelligent Community Forum
- 2017 WeGO Smart Sustainable City Award for our Open City Initiative
- 2016 GTEC Award of Distinction for the Open City Initiative
- 2015 Canadian Open Data Award
- 2008 and 2015 named one of the Smart21 Intelligent Communities by the Intelligent Community Forum
- First Canadian City to receive the IBM Smarter Cities Challenge award