All Edmontonians should be inspired to take advantage of every opportunity to be physically active and learn and practice.
In the context of this strategy, 'active recreation and sport' involves a range of physical activity opportunities including active recreation, sport, active play, active living and active transportation at all life stages.
What Inspires You About the Live Active Strategy?
At the recent Live Active Summit hosted by Ever Active Schools in partnership with the City Of Edmonton, delegates were asked what inspires them about the Live Active 10-year Strategy. Here are some of the answers. What inspires you?
This strategy will raise awareness and help encourage Edmontonians to become more physically active, whether that be in sports activities, recreational activities, or active living pursuits.
Increasing Edmontonians' physical literacy and participation in physical activity will make us healthier. It will improve the well-being of our communities socially, economically, and environmentally.
Quality active recreation and sport opportunities for all makes Edmonton a desirable city in all four seasons in which to live, learn, work and, most importantly play.
This strategy provides a road map for supporting the active recreational and sporting needs of all Edmontonians.
Through collaboration with and input from stakeholders we developed the following framework to the strategy:
- Physical Activity Has A Social Benefit
- Supporting Excellence
- Collaboration and Innovation
- Continues Connections
A healthy, vibrant Edmonton in which people embrace active lifestyles that improve their individual well-being as well as that of their families, neighbourhoods and communities.
To encourage Edmontonians to become passionate about and committed to living active throughout their lives. Regardless of age, gender or background, Edmontonians participate across the spectrum of active living, active recreation and sport activities to the level of their ability throughout all seasons.
- Edmontonians are engaged in their physical literacy journey
- Edmontonians are physically active for life
- Quality and diverse opportunities
- A vibrant active living, active recreation and sport ecosystem
- All Edmontonians are empowered to participate
- All Edmontonians are engaged in their physical literacy journey
- Innovation and excellence - achieving personal and organizational success
- Sector alignment across active living, active recreation and sport networks
- Quality experiences for all Edmontonians
- Infrastructure for all levels of local competition and training, and event hosting to advance active living, active recreation and sport
- Foster physical literacy
- Be active for life
- Champion personal and system excellence
The benefits to citizens envisioned as follows:
- Individual well being
- Community well being
- Thriving social environments
- Sustainable natural and built environments
- Building on economic prosperity
Developing the Strategy
A multi-sector steering committee was assembled to advance the Edmonton Live Active Strategy.
The committee developed a discussion document to support the strategy's advancement:
- Literature Review - A snapshot analysis of relevant active recreation and sport literature (2013).
In 2010, Edmonton City Council formally approved The Way We Live Strategic Plan. In it, a commitment was made to partner with representatives of the active recreation and sport community, post-secondary institutions, and other stakeholders to develop an Edmonton Active Recreation and Sport Strategy.