- Consider naturalization. With water shortages around the world, and considering the time it takes to maintain a lawn, it's tempting to turn your lawn into a concrete pad. But there is a beautiful alternative. By using plants native to Alberta, you can have a well-landscaped lawn that requires less water and is more resistant to weeds and pests. It also allows rainfall and snowpack to return to the watershed rather than stormwater drains.
- Use pesticides responsibly, or eliminate their use entirely.
- Edmontonians take pride in their city. Why not help make it an even more beautiful place to live? Join Partners in Parks and participate in gardening a part of our city's public spaces.
- If you're about to re-landscape, consider eco-landscaping to reduce the amounts of pesticides, herbicides and water required for maintenance.
- Plant a tree in your community!
Edmonton's sustainability and resilience is tied to the health of global and local ecosystems.