The International Organization for Standardization requires rigorous standards testing before it awards the ISO 14001 certification.
ISO 14001 certification requires an organization to:
- Establish a corporate environmental policy that makes strong commitments to the environment
- Understand how activities, products and services interact with and impact the environment, and identify significant impacts
- Set environmental objectives, targets and programs and manage them closely
- Determine competency requirements for persons who have the potential to cause significant environmental impacts and ensure these requirements are met and records retained
- Manage environmental documents and records to a high professional standard
- Develop operational controls in areas that have significant environmental risks
- Develop environmental emergency preparedness and response plans
- Establish a range of feedback mechanisms to update management on environmental performance and effective functioning of the system.
ISO 14001 Certified City Branches
Ten City branches have achieved certification: