A Rich Community Heritage
The former post office building in Old Strathcona is one of the community’s heritage landmarks.
The town of Strathcona developed independently of Edmonton on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River, and in the early years of the 20th century, was one of Alberta’s most noteworthy communities.
Strathcona benefited from its position as the northern terminus of the Canadian Pacific Railway line from Calgary; this railroad link fueled rapid growth in the community between 1891 and 1914.
During this period of prosperity a rich collection of civic and commercial buildings were developed in Strathcona.
Amalgamation with Edmonton in 1912 and the completion of the High Level Bridge in 1914, which extended the northern terminus of the CPR line to Edmonton, brought an abrupt end to Strathcona’s early prosperity. While the resulting economic slowdown curtailed the community’s commercial interests, it aided in preserving Strathcona’s rich collection of turn of the century architecture.
Today, Old Strathcona is a thriving commercial and cultural district, as well as a Designated Provincial Historic Area. Its heritage character, pedestrian-oriented streetscapes and diverse collection of early 20th century architecture appeals to both residents and visitors.
Development regulations in Old Strathcona
In consultation with the community, zoning has been applied to areas of Old Strathcona to regulate land use, including signage, in order to support the preservation of buildings of architectural and historic value and ensure that new development is sympathetic to the district’s special character.
Zoning regulations for properties located in Direct Development Control Provision areas can be found in the Strathcona Area Redevelopment Plan.