The W.W. Arcade Building was first known as the Goodridge Block. The building was constructed for Leonard A. Goodridge at 9696 Jasper Avenue during 1911 and 1912 and was designed by architect Robert Percy Barnes. At first, the ground floor housed a menswear store, barbeque, wine, liquor and cigar store, and pool hall, while the upper floors housed offices. The Goodridge Block stood at a prominent location at the northeast corner of Jasper Avenue and Namayo (97 Street) during the corner’s last years as the principal commercial intersection of the city.
In 1932, the main floor of the building was taken over by W.W. Sales Hardware, when Samuel P. Wilson purchased the property. During the Second World War, its name was changed to W.W. Arcade by the new owners, the Ainslie brothers (Alex, Bob and Dave). The name lasted from 1942 until March 1991 when the business moved out of the main floor of the building. The Edmonton Downtown Business Corporation received funding from the federal government to restore the Goodridge Block at the end of that year. The grand reopening took place on April 15, 1993. This plaque represents the one-sided W.W. Arcade sign that is displayed at the north end of the Museum.
This sign was donated by: The City of Edmonton
This sign was generously restored by: Hi Signs | THE FATH GROUP