John Walter Museum | McLuhan House | Owen Residence | Molstad House | Trynicky Apartments and Georgia Apartments
Highlands Streetscape: Bell House on Left, Owen House in Centre
Sketch by Angie Sotiropoulos, 1 June 2019
Edmonton has some fine examples of residential architecture from various eras, although many have been demolished. Henderson’s Edmonton Directories are a valuable resource for locating the names of those who owned or resided in a house over time, and in some cases, their occupations. For married couples, the only listed name was often that of the husband, but later editions included the wife’s name.
13110 – 104 Avenue, Glenora neighbourhood
Sketch by Irina Kruglyakova, no date
The house at 13110 – 104 Avenue serves as an example. The address first appears in the 1931 directory. Regd [Reginald] T. Boyce is listed as residing, and then as householder from 1932 to 1935. His occupation is first noted as an employee of the Board of Pensions, and by 1933 he is listed as the Chief Clerk of the Canada Pensions Commission.
Hon Chas C. Ross lived in the house in 1936, followed by Edgar Dowton, Office Manager for Canada Packers, who owned the house from 1937 to 1939. J. Delbert McFarland, Manager/President of McFarland Shoe Co. owned the house from 1942 to 1948.
A partial story can be conjured for Russell Johnson, who owned the house from 1949 to 1961, with his wife Eva also listed beginning in 1951. However, their names do not appear in 1950 or in 1957. In 1950, Mrs. M. Dazell, widow, is listed as residing, and in 1957, Robert J. and Rita Johnson are listed as residing, his occupation as attendant at Oram & Tucker Service Station. From 1962 to 1965, Russell is listed as retired, and from 1966 to 1986, his name no longer appears, listing only Mrs. Eva M. Johnson, and in 1987, the address simply indicates “No Return”.
This house was an Ernest Litchfield Home, built in the Tudor Revival style. Litchfield was a local contractor who was known for building a publicly displayed model home, “The Home of Tomorrow”, now located at 1 St. George’s Crescent.