Effective October 31, 2017
Changes to security procedures are part of a regular security assessment and are intended to make our safe City facilities even safer.
We encourage visitors to arrive 5-10 minutes earlier to accommodate these procedures.
Screening Officers on duty at the public entrance to Council Chambers and the River Valley Room will also be able to answer your questions.
Visitors will be be screened for possession of prohibited metal items.
- Visitors will be asked to empty their pockets of metal objects and to place those objects in a container provided.
- Visitors will pass through a metal detector and once successfully through, the items in the containers will be returned. They may then proceed to enter.
If undisclosed metal is detected when passing through the metal detector, an alarm will sound. The visitor will be asked to remove any metal objects on their person and to pass through the detector again.
- If necessary, a secondary screening involving a visual inspection or the use of a hand-held wand may be completed.
Backpacks, bags, luggage, large purses and other items are subject to visual inspection before entering Council Chambers and the River Valley Room.
- The following are special circumstances for which standard screening procedures may be adjusted as determined by the Screening Officer:
- service animals;
- mobility assistive devices including but not limited to wheelchairs, crutches, and canes;
- medical conditions requiring possession of needles or other medical instruments;
- religious and ceremonial items.
The City of Edmonton reserves the right to alter its screening procedure at any time to ensure the safety of Council and citizens.
These items are prohibited inside Council Chambers and the River Valley Room:
- Ammunition of any type
- Blades, sharp objects, and striking devices
- Devices that operate as noisemakers - including sound amplifiers
- Disabling chemicals - including chlorine compressed gas cylinders, fire extinguishers, Mace, pepper spray, spillable batteries (excluding those in wheelchairs), spray paint, tear gas, noxious and poisonous substances
- Edged weapons - including but not limited to scissors, axes, hatchets, ice picks, letter openers, throwing stars, box cutters, utility knives and razor blades
- Explosives - including ammunition, blasting caps, dynamite, fireworks, flares, gunpowder, hand grenades and plastic explosives
- Flammable substances - including but not limited to aerosol sprays, flammable fuels, gasoline, gas torches
- Firearms - real or imitation
- Fire starters - including smoke and stink bombs
- Food and beverages - small items may be permitted to those able to show food is required
- Illegal drugs or substances
- Nightsticks and Billy clubs
- Projectiles and items used to propel projectiles - including arrowheads, BB guns or pellets, compressed air guns, flares and flare guns, parts of guns or firearms, sling shots and spear guns
- Stun guns and devices used to emit a shock
- Tools - including any sharp or bladed objects
- Any item deemed inappropriate by a Screening Officer